Hiking For Patches Facebook Page

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Rankin

Reaction score
For those of you who are patch hounds, a NJ hiker has put together a HUGE list of quests/challenges/etc. that bestow a patch.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/HikingForPatches

If you go to the Files section, they are listed generally by state, with a few categories for things like the 115.

Last I knew, Laurie and I had north of 80 or so patche$. :eek:

p2.jpg

We don't have a whole lot of them on our packs, but they're hanging around here somewhere. One year, we made them Christmas Tree decorations.

Our most recent accomplishment was doing a Single Season Spring round of the Catskill 3500' peaks. (We did a Winter round too). Hikers Anonymous gives out this patch along with several others.

Badges!...… Okay, while if /when I finish in NY, I'll put in for my 46'er and whatever I get for 115, they'll stay in the house.

Trying to avoid any stereotype from growing up Italian in the 70s' as far as bling goes. Whether it is metallic or patches, on a pack for hiking or on a Scout Uniform for training, I avoid it at all cost. (For someone who enjoys hiking solo, this will seem ironic coming from me) If you want to know if I know the mountains of the northeast or I can be trusted with your kid, talk to me, don't look at what's sewn on my pack or shirt and make assumptions. As far as hiking badges go, knowing that others nearby have been the same places or not has no bearing on my hike. I'd hope that my pack and what is or isn't on it would impact your hike at all either.

If we talk, (which in Covid-19 land we would have to do only on large summits with no one else around) after a few minutes you get the idea of the people's experience. If they saw Washington is their favorite hike in NH, they probably haven't hiked many places, unless there is a "but" moment, like only in winter, but on rainy days as the weather keeps the lines down at the summit, but at night on a full moon....

The list mostly operate on the honesty proposition and that works well. 95%, well maybe 90% now think your hiking for a patch & sometimes in cold weather or during mud season is crazy, they aren't impressed. If you try faking it with the other 5-10%, you'll be found out in a moment.

On another note, does anyone have a top ten summit list? For the Northeast, I can only get to two before it becomes a matter of why not this one instead of that one. I need to get back to them again having one been to one of them once and the other twice. (Katahdin & Haystack, ADK) After that, I could have 15 or 20 on the list. (Gothics, Big Slide, Algonquin, Liberty, Lincoln, West Bond, Bond, Adams, Garfield, South Twin, Ike, Panther, ADK, Hurricane, ) Some are because they are easy, some because they are hard, some because of personal reasons, etc.

For those of you who are patch hounds, a NJ hiker has put together a HUGE list of quests/challenges/etc. that bestow a patch.

I hope ther's is no statue of limitations imposed. I did my some of my first Winter 4ks in 1970! And I STILL have 19 to go. I should live so long...

I hope ther's is no statue of limitations imposed. I did my some of my first Winter 4ks in 1970! And I STILL have 19 to go. I should live so long...
Every list has their own requirements. None of the lists require you to finish in a certain time period (except single season challenges). I've heard of people taking 50 years+ to do some of the lists, so you might not be breaking a record! :D

On another note, does anyone have a top ten summit list?

All those you mention, and I have a few other unusual favorites.

Isolation, believe it or not... from the base of the cog. It's a long walk down to get to the summit and a long walk back up to get back down!

Moosilauke, either a loop from the Lodge via Asquam Ridge, or up Glencliff and down Benton, if you don't run into thousands of people. terrific views at night!

Waumbek for the nice walk the woods and the views of the Presidentials...

Both Percys!

Last edited:
Well, there is a patch issued by the AMC for the winter New England 67, and I believe there is also one for the Wt Mt 4K in winter as well as the 100 in winter.

Indeed

attachment.php

Tim

Attachments

• IMG_2173.jpg
    IMG_2173.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 305