Tucks Rescue

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I was heading down Gulfside Trail off Washington last week there was a fairly young guy carrying a snowboard walking with his girlfriend along the rim of the Great Gulf (off trail of course trampling flowers and grasses). They had come across from the auto road where I presume they drove up and parked. Was looking for snow and commented that it "looked pretty steep". He was clearly no back country rider - no backpack, sneakers and a flannel shirt, no helmet. I almost said something but stopped myself. Luckily there really were no patches of snow along the headwall to tempt him. Would have been a guaranteed accident if he had tried his luck on one. Apparently hiking isn't the only hobby inexperienced people are taking up during COVID.

When I was heading down Gulfside Trail off Washington last week there was a fairly young guy carrying a snowboard walking with his girlfriend along the rim of the Great Gulf (off trail of course trampling flowers and grasses). They had come across from the auto road where I presume they drove up and parked. Was looking for snow and commented that it "looked pretty steep". He was clearly no back country rider - no backpack, sneakers and a flannel shirt, no helmet. I almost said something but stopped myself. Luckily there really were no patches of snow along the headwall to tempt him. Would have been a guaranteed accident if he had tried his luck on one. Apparently hiking isn't the only hobby inexperienced people are taking up during COVID.

Same on last Thursday. Car full of 20 somethings jumped out with all their snowboarding gear. My first thought was, what's the point? Couldn't tell be looking at them what their abilities were.

Thankfully there was a doctor nearby. Is Tucks open for riding? It was shut down earlier in the year. Hiking on Osceola and Hale this past weekend and some put mask on while others moved over as much as they could, often into the woods. For the most part, people are moving off more than in the past.

That's a bad idea, do people socially distance sitting on Lunch Rocks?
There's little snow left in Tucks now, so the big crowds are long gone. Just the hard cores. When the Auto Road opened there were larger groups up on the East snowfields, but again, not in the same numbers as a normal year.