Arethusa Falls

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greenpoint

Reaction score
Has anybody recently hiked to Arethusa Falls? It’s been dry here in Massachusetts so I assume it’s been the same in NH. I’m planning on being in the area in a few weeks and am trying to decide on whether or not to include a trip to the falls.
Thanks

I visited Arethusa Falls last Friday. There were a few muddy spots, but nothing outrageous. It was a lovely walk, the trail is in great shape.

I visited Arethusa Falls last Friday. There were a few muddy spots, but nothing outrageous. It was a lovely walk, the trail is in great shape.

I was thinking more of the falls itself. Was it impressive or just a dribble? I've seen both but was hoping to show others only if the falls was impressive

No doubt with the rain yesterday and for the new few days, the flow will be good. Might be worth a trip to Giant Falls in Shelburne. The steep trail that runs up the side brings you to view of the upper gorge that feeds it which is something a lot of tourists miss.

Bummer about the moose. I managed to screw up my post. Lets try it again

No doubt with the rain yesterday and for the new few days, the flow will be good. The steep trail that runs up the side brings you to a view of the upper gorge that feeds it which is something a lot of tourists miss.

Might be worth a trip to Giant Falls in Shelburne. (well maybe not ;) )

NOTE: about two weeks ago, there was rotting moose carcass right at/near the viewpoint for the falls. One could smell it from the Peabody Brook Trail.

The smell is gone. I was there yesterday, and saw plenty of moose hair, but I didn't poke around looking for the carcass. The rain had yet to come, so the falls were mostly a trickle.

The views from Bald Cap's summit were nothing to write home about, but Dream Lake and the ledges of Bald Cap Peak were spectacular.

Dream Lake:

IMG_6344.jpg

View from Bald Cap Peak ledges:

IMG_6359.jpg

Giant Falls:

IMG_6391.jpg

Last edited:
To continue the drift, the Shelburne Trails Club is quite active and have added or reopened long since lost trails in this area to several interesting areas and viewpoints. Plus they have the only functioning hand operated cable car regionally I am aware of on hiking trail.

Last edited:
When I search I get a lot of facebook links but here is non facebook link

https://wildernesswebb.com/2013/10/06/searching-cable-car/

It is about 100 feet off the logging road used to access the Giant Falls trail. When it went in the claim was it was purchased from elsewhere and reconditioned. There really is no need for it in its current location as Austin Brook is very seasonal but it was fun readily accessible project for the Shelburne Trails Association. I have seen photos of similar equipment used over deep ravines out west on hiking trails and occasionally gold miners would install them to get access to their claims.

I should edit in the only hand operated cable car in the region as they are used elsewhere.

When I search I get a lot of facebook links but here is non facebook link

https://wildernesswebb.com/2013/10/06/searching-cable-car/

It is about 100 feet off the logging road used to access the Giant Falls trail. When it went in the claim was it was purchased from elsewhere and reconditioned. There really is no need for it in its current location as Austin Brook is very seasonal but it was fun readily accessible project for the Shelburne Trails Association. I have seen photos of similar equipment used over deep ravines out west on hiking trails and occasionally gold miners would install them to get access to their claims.

I should edit in the only hand operated cable car in the region as they are used elsewhere.

There used to be one across the East Branch on the Wilderness Trail, too. The remains of the car are in the middle of the river and the cable is still anchored on one side.

Since you first posted the thread the conditions most likely have changed 180 degrees, we were just filling time while that occurred ;).

Waterfalls in the whites in summer are ephemeral, the best time to go is after a sustained soaking.

Take a look at this gage on the upper Saco which is downhill from the falls https://waterdata.usgs.gov/nh/nwis/uv/?site_no=010642505&PARAmeter_cd=00065,63160,63158,00060

It was around 10 Cubic Feet Per second on the 28th and got up to 1200 CFS yesterday. More water better waterfalls.