Conn. AT - Sherman to Sharon

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A bunch of us from the Connecticut Section of the GMC had been planning to backpack part of the AT in Maine this past weekend, but as the time approached it became clear that Maine would not have reopened enough, so we changed it to backpacking part of the AT in Connecticut.

We did the southernmost section, from the first crossing of the N.Y. state line in Sherman, back into and out of New York, through Kent, and to the Cromwell Bridge area in Sharon.

Most of us started on Hoyt's Road in New York, close enough to Connecticut that we could see the "Welcome to Connecticut" sign from the parking area. At the beginning we were myself, Jim ("Attila the Pun"), Mandy ("Muffin Top"), George, and Dave. Dave was only along for a mile or so day walk. Sarah started at the Bull's Bridge area, knowing we would catch up soon. Jim, Mandy, and Sarah had done this section before; George and I had not.

The trail throughout the hike was either flat alongside the Housatonic River, or up and down over a lot of not terribly high Connecticut hills. We had no rain on Friday, a downpour Saturday afternoon, and intermittent rain after that. We met a bunch of people, both day hikers and through/section hikers, and everybody was reasonably good about social distancing. I carried a mask which I put on when I stopped to talk with someone else on the trail.

The highlight of the first day was probably the Ten Mile River Campsite, at the confluence of the Ten Mile and Housatonic Rivers, where we took a break. Later the trail returned to New York State briefly. Soon after this section we joined up with Sarah.

We spent the night in the Mt. Algo Leanto area. There were a number of other people there as well, but I don't think anybody stayed in the shelter. (AT Shelters in Connecticut are officially closed now, but tenting is allowed.)

The next day we got an early start, hoping to get down St. John's Ledges before the predicted rain came, which we did. St. John's Ledges was the steepest part of the hike, but was immediately followed by the flattest four miles on the Appalachian Trail, which run along the right bank of the Housatonic. We took a long break at Stewart Hollow Leanto while the worst of the storm passed overhead. Then we continued onto Silver Hill Campsite, which is where most of us spent Saturday night. George had forged ahead in order to get off the trail late Saturday. Silver Hill Campsite has some picnic tables under a pavilion, a two person swing, and a pump for water. It rained a bit that night.

Sunday was a short day for everyone. Everybody else left the AT at Old Sharon Road, which brought them back to Rte. 4 (which we'd just crossed) near where we were parked on Rte. 7. I continued a little ways to the southern intersection with the Mohawk Trail, because otherwise I'd have a little gap in my redlining of the Conn. AT. Not that I'm actively pursuing that, but I know that if I ever do in the future I'd be cursing my 2020 self if I hadn't closed the gap. Then it was a short hike down the Mohawk to the car.

Here are the pictures.

--

Cumulus

NE111 in my 50s: 115/115 (67/67, 46/46, 2/2)
NE111 in my 60s: 73/115 (50/67, 21/46, 2/2)
NEFF: 50/50; Cat35: 39/39; WNH4K: 41/48; NEHH 89/100
LT NB 2009; CT NB 2017

"I don't much care where [I get to] --" said Alice, "-- so long as I get somewhere," ...
"Oh, you're sure to do that," said the Cat, "if you only walk long enough."
- Lewis Carroll

Were you concerned about deer ticks?
When I hiked through that field right after crossing 341 I was.

Take any precautions?
Just checking myself carefully after that section.

--

Cumulus

NE111 in my 50s: 115/115 (67/67, 46/46, 2/2)
NE111 in my 60s: 73/115 (50/67, 21/46, 2/2)
NEFF: 50/50; Cat35: 39/39; WNH4K: 41/48; NEHH 89/100
LT NB 2009; CT NB 2017

"I don't much care where [I get to] --" said Alice, "-- so long as I get somewhere," ...
"Oh, you're sure to do that," said the Cat, "if you only walk long enough."
- Lewis Carroll