Maine exempts Ct., N.Y., N.J. folks from restrictions to visiting

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

srhigham

Reaction score
"With Improving Public Health Metrics, Mills Administration Exempts Connecticut, New York, and New Jersey From Quarantine & Testing Requirement

July 1, 2020

The Mills Administration announced today that it is exempting visitors from the States of Connecticut, New York, and New Jersey from the 14-day quarantine requirement or negative COVID-19 testing alternative, effective this Friday, July 3, 2020."

Surprisingly (and no doubt to the chagrin of the tourist trade), Massachusetts is not included in this, even though Mass.'s metrics (R-nought, etc.) are at least as good as these three states.

I don't know why this distinction was made, but I predict that Massachusetts' exemption will not be far behind.

I suspect MA will follow soon, the tri-state area was the first hot spot and their governors reacted quickly, when in happened some thought over acted. MA's increase took place a little later but has been very good as of late. In both area's where many people traveled by bus and train, transmission was quickly spread. Counties where people did not commute in crowded conveyances fared better.

I suspect MA will follow soon, the tri-state area was the first hot spot and their governors reacted quickly, when in happened some thought over acted. MA's increase took place a little later but has been very good as of late. In both area's where many people traveled by bus and train, transmission was quickly spread. Counties where people did not commute in crowded conveyances fared better.

We don't like Mass people. that's why Mills excepted them.

j/k by the way.

Two signs that used to be on 95" "Maine, the way life is supposed to be" and "If you lived in Maine, you would be home by now"

Just had to cancel my trip to Baxter next week, as it is not possible in my area in Mass to get tested and have results in 72 hours as required by Maine rules, first year since 1981 I will not make it to the park. Minor compared with what many people are dealing with, grateful to be safe, still sad and I will miss that beautiful place, see you next year!!!!

My daughter went today and in Windham at the drive thru they are saying seven days although they said four to six days more likely.

Just had to cancel my trip to Baxter next week, as it is not possible in my area in Mass to get tested and have results in 72 hours as required by Maine rules, first year since 1981 I will not make it to the park. Minor compared with what many people are dealing with, grateful to be safe, still sad and I will miss that beautiful place, see you next year!!!!
Kudos to you for making the sacrifice. A lot of people are not following the rules. Here's to an awesome trip next year!

We had antibody tests done in Somerville (free to all residents) and got the results in 2 days.

Antibody testing is fast, less than 24h in MA.

I have read that there is still much debate about the accuracy of the antibody tests. Current readings suggest that it is most accurate between 2 and 5 weeks after contracting the virus. I seem to recall reading that some states will not accept it as proof of not having the virus.

(of course all this is still changing rather quickly and my reading has been sporadic)

Tim

I have read that there is still much debate about the accuracy of the antibody tests. Current readings suggest that it is most accurate between 2 and 5 weeks after contracting the virus. I seem to recall reading that some states will not accept it as proof of not having the virus.

(of course all this is still changing rather quickly and my reading has been sporadic)

Tim

Yes, that's right Tim (as I understand it). I believe the antibody tests are accurate - the tests from major labs will tell you accurately whether or not you have antibodies. What's not known is what percentage of infected people develop detectable antibodies, how long those antibodies last, and whether the antibodies (at a given concentration) are protective against reinfection.

For that matter, having a negative viral test 72 h before entering a state wouldn't catch individuals who were infected a day or two before their test, or in the 72 h since their test. It's all a bit of a guessing and hedging game at this point. Which is probably the best we can do for now.

It's not that hard to self-isolate for 72 hours - go get the viral test, and go home and stay home. It gets harder each day that passes. If, for example, I wanted to go visit my parents, I could get the test, go home for 72 hours, and if negative, go see them without worry. I would not have that confidence with the antibody test.

Tim

You'd want to consider self-isolating for 72+ hrs in advance of the viral test as well, if you really want to not worry. It takes some amount of time after exposure for the virus to replicate enough that it becomes detectable. My reading suggests that incubation time is on average somewhere around 3-4 days. But it can be significantly more or less that that, depending on a lot of factors.

And yes, the antibody test unfortunately tells you very little regarding your current propensity to transmit the disease.

Politically, things are getting a bit nasty between some Republican lawmakers in Maine and their business allies, and the Governor about the quarantine/testing requirements for Massachusetts and R.I. residents as opposed to all other surrounding states down to N.J., where those people can just waltz into Maine. Here is the press release, which was on the Maine COVID response page, but later taken down:

July 27, 2020
Governor Janet Mills issued the following statement on Legislative Republicans' continued effort to jeopardize Maine's public health measures:

"For the life of me, I cannot understand why Republicans care more about Massachusetts money than the life of a Maine person.

"What the Republicans unveiled today is not a set of recommendations to salvage our tourism industry. It is a Donald Trump-style assault on the very public health measures that have successfully protected Maine people. It amounts to a Republican invitation for a resurgence of the virus, which not only would sicken more people but would damage our economy for years to come. If Republicans want to see how damaging COVID-19 can be, they need only look to states like Florida, Texas, or Arizona who have had to slam the door shut on their economies again.

"I, too, am deeply concerned about the economic ramifications of this pandemic and am worried about small business owners across Maine. Economists, public health experts, and many business owners have told me that the best thing we can do for our economic health is to ensure that we protect public health. My Administration will continue to strike that balance.

"I invite Republicans to join us in embracing science and marketing Maine as a welcoming and safe place for people to visit, live, and work. Further, if Republicans were interested in stabilizing the economy and protecting public health, then they should join me in calling on Congress and the President to pass another round of economic support - one geared towards helping Maine's tourism and hospitality industries - rather than urging us to sacrifice the public health measures that have kept Mainers safe thus far."

Personal disclaimer: I find political grandstanding and partisanship extremely tiring, so I'm not looking for political arguments by posting this.

My own strategy for getting into some of the mountains of Maine this year has been to get a room in Gorham, N.H., which gives me day-trip ability into most of Oxford County. Beyond that however, I'm out of luck

Personal disclaimer: I find political grandstanding and partisanship extremely tiring, so I'm not looking for political arguments by posting this.

My own strategy for getting into some of the mountains of Maine this year has been to get a room in Gorham, N.H., which gives me day-trip ability into most of Oxford County. Beyond that however, I'm out of luck

The best way to avoid a political argument is to keep overtly political comments to yourself...at least that used to be the rule on this forum.:confused: