Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Sites similar to VFTT

Quote Originally Posted by bikehikeskifish View Post
    September '03 is as far back as the database goes. The good news is that in this day and age, even the lowliest hosting plan gives some level of high-availability and redundancy with automated database backups. I.e., unlikely to suffer any data loss. It's not a multi region hosting plan, so disaster is still a possibility.

Tim
    Since Political conspiracy theories are banned here and there are many masters of that already, I'll reach back into the Way-back machine and reinvent an old one. Since Y2K was a Disaster that never happened, and after a horrific year 2020 was, (ironic that a year that also means perfect vision had so many things no one had foreseen), I'll create the 2021 disaster leftover from 2000 and 2020.

On 2/1/21 we'll have what was supposed to happen at Y2K happen, thereby making the date from the movie with the same name, synonymous with repetition from ever happening. Is there another comet coming in Feb 2021? That might be the only way to keep the Cleveland Browns or Bills from winning the Super Bowl! (Or Tom from winning #7)

Merry Christmas to all!
    Have fun & be safe
    Mike P.

If only FB would die and VFTT returned to full strength. I contributed a fair amount to VFTT from about 2004 through 2010, and miss those days quite a bit. Met lots of people and drank tons of beer. Even hiked a little.

Some of the drama was epic too.
    Last edited by roadtripper; 12-25-2020 at 03:13 PM.

I still have one your VFTT shirts

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    I still have one your VFTT shirts
    That's awesome! If I remember correctly, I think I ended up losing like $200 on those. Don't really care though because people did seem to like them. Only six orange ones were made - I wonder what they go for on ebay?

You spent a lot of time specifying a good quality shirt. Darn thing is indestructible. Its still get used on occasion.

Hi all, I am one who was a member prior to “the crash”. I never posted that often so I ended up locked out when the membership rules changed. This thread prompted me to join again (I was one of those who thought they had no chance without a sponsor). All these years, views has remained my go to place for information on equipment, navigation etc. I have read pretty much every post and I don’t think I am unique. At any rate, I thought to lose this site would be a shame so I am back. Like many I don’t make it up to the Whites as much as in past years but hopefully I can contribute. Anyway, thanks Sanbu for starting this.

https://www.vftt.org/forums/faq.php

What if I don't-have / can't-find anyone to sponsor me?
    If you do not know anyone to sponsor you, and you cannot attend an event from Trips and Events to meet people, you can still apply using the process above, but instead of "Sponsor's name", please write 2-3 sentences about yourself and the reason why you wish to become a member of VFTT. If you have a blog, or hiking picture site, or any other backcountry online presence, a link to that will suffice.

We do not want to deny membership for legitimate backcountry enthusiasts but we do want to prevent spammers and people with too much time on their hands from registering.
    If you are reading this and want to join, follow the link above for instructions on how to request membership.

Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays/Happy New Year,
    Tim
    Bike, Hike, Ski, Sleep. Eat, Fish, Repeat.

The AMC boards were inconsistently moderated and there were many folks who were actively seeking to disrupt them. I don't recall the personalities but they weren't there to be helpful. I don't miss those boards.
    You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself, any direction you choose. -- Dr. Seuss

If anyone remembers Rec.backcountry, trolls and flame wars were expected. There was great info but with no moderation the signal to noise ratio was too low for most to tolerate