Thread: Sites similar to VFTT

Sites similar to VFTT

I recall a thread or threads on these forums comparing VFTT to similar hiker websites. There was discussion about overall aging of VFTT participants, experience levels of users, quality of advice offered, novice hiker questions being asked, and such. Please point me in the direction of those threads, as I haven't been able to locate them. For me it's a subject of personal interest.
    散步 Sanbu

What are sites similar to VFTT? ADK High Peaks is a definite yes,

Are FB groups for NH or New England Hiking? Meet up Groups? All trails or NE Trail Conditions? Is Alpinezone or Rocks on Top still up? Alpinezone is, I looked, mostly a ski forum however, they have a hiking forum.
    Have fun & be safe
    Mike P.

Can't find (nor remember) the VFTT threads Sanbu is talking about, so I'll answer Mike P's variation of the question.

Looks like RocksOnTop is no longer in business.

I seem to recall both the AMC and the Mt Washington Observatory had pretty active forums once upon a time. Can't find them now, but WhiteBlaze.net is still running.

There are a few sites aimed at technical climbers, that include trip reports, conditions, etc. - MountainProject.com, NEIce.com. Ditto for skiers - e.g. timefortuckerman.org

Summitpost.org is still running. The encyclopedia aspect is still useful, but the trip reports are becoming infrequent and the forums are practically silent.

There are lots of meetup groups for hiking and climbing - some are more organized than others. Most are not particularly useful for Q&A nor designed for sharing reports and conditions.

The pre-Internet clubs remain active - you'll run into big groups out on the trail once in a while. AMC, ADK, MIT Outdoors Club, Dartmouth Outing Club... Some have online forums for members.

Couldn't tell you about Facebook. I have an account for business reasons, but I don't use it for anything else. From my experience with Facebook, though, it's probably not easy to search for anything.

I know of some active fora aimed at other regions (e.g., Pacific Northwest) but I assume the threads Sanbu was asking about were focused on the Northeast.

Quote Originally Posted by nartreb View Post
    Ditto for skiers - e.g. timefortuckerman.org
    The Timefortuckerman.com forum is no more. The site is now just a revamped info site for Tucks.

As Mike P. mentioned, the Adk High Peaks is still active. So too is its sister site, the Adk Forum, though it's focus is broader than just hiking.
    Last edited by TEO; 07-05-2020 at 11:11 PM.

MountWashington.org underwent a software upgrade some 4-5 years ago and the forums went with it.
    RocksOnTop.com has been defunct for nearly as long
    hike-nh.com is still up and running but akin to an abandoned lot (mostly weeds)

FaceBook groups are reasonably easy to search - they intentionally block google searches, so you have to use the FB search feature directly. FB Groups on the 4Ks are not terribly compelling...

HTH,
    Tim
    Bike, Hike, Ski, Sleep. Eat, Fish, Repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by bikehikeskifish View Post
    FB Groups on the 4Ks are not terribly compelling...
    If you're in the mood for a chuckle and a few WTF's it's a decent afternoon.

Another thing to observe among the various forums is the varying degree of moderation:

VFTT is quite tightly moderated, which makes it a nice place, even though it limits the discussion a bit.
    ADKHghPeaks and ADKForum are moderated, but with a little lighter touch, so there are more political topics and things like that open to discussion. Still a nice place.
    MtnProject and NEICE "climbing" forums are quite loosely moderated, so many, perhaps most threads descend pretty promptly (by page 2) into personal flame wars. (Also, lately MtnProject has been practicing very one-sided "woke" and "PC" moderation, so threads that don't toe that particular line disappear quite quickly.)

It's all interesting to watch, and you need to be aware of it when you are posting on the various sites.

Quote Originally Posted by TCD View Post
    Another thing to observe among the various forums is the varying degree of moderation:

VFTT is quite tightly moderated, which makes it a nice place, even though it limits the discussion a bit.
    ADKHghPeaks and ADKForum are moderated, but with a little lighter touch, so there are more political topics and things like that open to discussion. Still a nice place.
    MtnProject and NEICE "climbing" forums are quite loosely moderated, so many, perhaps most threads descend pretty promptly (by page 2) into personal flame wars. (Also, lately MtnProject has been practicing very one-sided "woke" and "PC" moderation, so threads that don't toe that particular line disappear quite quickly.)

It's all interesting to watch, and you need to be aware of it when you are posting on the various sites.
    Due to the nature of the ADK Park, especially on the ADK Forum, you probably have to allow for some politics, at least on the state level.

In the early days, the rec-climbing board here was full of flaming and ranting. What I learned is from following some of the people who were thought as being the worst of the bunch, they were very passionate about their hobby/sport/passion. I had some offline email discussions with them and they were amongst the most knowledgeable and nice people you would email with. Sometimes people let their passions go in a basically anonymous setting. On AMC's Mountain & Molehills which was the more rant filled section, I had the alter-ego Mr. Sarcasm.
    Have fun & be safe
    Mike P.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshandBaron View Post
    If you're in the mood for a chuckle and a few WTF's it's a decent afternoon.
    That might be the best reason I've seen for joining FB. (Besides selling all my data points to FB's other customers so I can get ads on Coke, IPA's, hiking, Marvel, Wall St., and see what fake news is being sent to me by Cats, dogs, Billy Goats, Trolls, and how I can inoculate myself with a very diluted bleach cocktail - I'm being cynical - DO NOT DRINK BLEACH!)
    Have fun & be safe
    Mike P.

Can't find (nor remember) the VFTT threads Sanbu is talking about, so I'll answer Mike P's variation of the question.

Looks like RocksOnTop is no longer in business.

I seem to recall both the AMC and the Mt Washington Observatory had pretty active forums once upon a time. Can't find them now, but WhiteBlaze.net is still running.

There are a few sites aimed at technical climbers, that include trip reports, conditions, etc. - MountainProject.com, NEIce.com. Ditto for skiers - e.g. timefortuckerman.org

Summitpost.org is still running. The encyclopedia aspect is still useful, but the trip reports are becoming infrequent and the forums are practically silent.

There are lots of meetup groups for hiking and climbing - some are more organized than others. Most are not particularly useful for Q&A nor designed for sharing reports and conditions.

The pre-Internet clubs remain active - you'll run into big groups out on the trail once in a while. AMC, ADK, MIT Outdoors Club, Dartmouth Outing Club... Some have online forums for members.

Couldn't tell you about Facebook. I have an account for business reasons, but I don't use it for anything else. From my experience with Facebook, though, it's probably not easy to search for anything.

I know of some active fora aimed at other regions (e.g., Pacific Northwest) but I assume the threads Sanbu was asking about were focused on the Northeast.
    Another local club for Western MA is the Pioneer Valley Hiking Club, over 200 members and they hike, a lot! http://pioneervalleyhikingclub.org/ My Brother-in-law is a member as he & my sister-in-law live in the area.

Their link page has a lot of other groups and useful info too. http://pioneervalleyhikingclub.org/blog/links-3/
    Last edited by Mike P.; 07-06-2020 at 01:19 PM.
    Have fun & be safe
    Mike P.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike P. View Post
    That might be the best reason I've seen for joining FB. (Besides selling all my data points to FB's other customers so I can get ads on ...
    You (We) are not FaceBook's customer - you (we) are the product.

Tim
    Bike, Hike, Ski, Sleep. Eat, Fish, Repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by bikehikeskifish View Post
    You (We) are not FaceBook's customer - you (we) are the product.

Tim
    You are correct sir, both product and then volunteering to receive some of the customer's advertisements while other customers use and manipulation of the product (us) is more nefarious. (Possible word of the day - Nefarious)
    Have fun & be safe
    Mike P.

I used to visit summitpost every day back in the early/mid-naughts, and man, that place was amazing. I probably read every single article and trip report on the front page for a couple of years. Taught me a lot about what was possible, and also that different people assign different meanings to the words 'spicy', 'exciting', 'exhilarating', etc. There was a guy who called himself The Chief. Super ornery and opinionated, but posted prolifically, including a tutorial on how to solo A5. Good lord. But as with so many other such collections of independent people online, widespread bitching and moaning nearly imploded the whole thing, and The Chief and many other prolific posters up and left and took all of their content with them. What a shame. I mean, there was some amazing stuff on there. Truly amazing stuff that took real effort to put together. Content that was clearly a labor of love for the contributors. There's a psychology/human nature lesson in here somewhere about the differences between in person interactions and online interactions. I imagine this is the stuff of Ph.D. theses in the humanities for the next several decades.
    Sure. Why not.

Quote Originally Posted by hikerbrian View Post
    I used to visit summitpost every day back in the early/mid-naughts, and man, that place was amazing. I probably read every single article and trip report on the front page for a couple of years. Taught me a lot about what was possible, and also that different people assign different meanings to the words 'spicy', 'exciting', 'exhilarating', etc. There was a guy who called himself The Chief. Super ornery and opinionated, but posted prolifically, including a tutorial on how to solo A5. Good lord. But as with so many other such collections of independent people online, widespread bitching and moaning nearly imploded the whole thing, and The Chief and many other prolific posters up and left and took all of their content with them. What a shame. I mean, there was some amazing stuff on there. Truly amazing stuff that took real effort to put together. Content that was clearly a labor of love for the contributors. There's a psychology/human nature lesson in here somewhere about the differences between in person interactions and online interactions. I imagine this is the stuff of Ph.D. theses in the humanities for the next several decades.
    I still have a binder of printed out reports from Summitpost for several dozen walk ups in the Sierra that sounded interesting, in the Lassen area and as far north in the Cascades as the Three Sisters for a trip I never did. (or not yet)
    Have fun & be safe
    Mike P.