Sites similar to VFTT

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all, I am one who was a member prior to “the crash”. I never posted that often so I ended up locked out when the membership rules changed. This thread prompted me to join again (I was one of those who thought they had no chance without a sponsor). All these years, views has remained my go to place for information on equipment, navigation etc. I have read pretty much every post and I don’t think I am unique. At any rate, I thought to lose this site would be a shame so I am back. Like many I don’t make it up to the Whites as much as in past years but hopefully I can contribute. Anyway, thanks Sanbu for starting this.

https://www.vftt.org/forums/faq.php

What if I don't-have / can't-find anyone to sponsor me?
If you do not know anyone to sponsor you, and you cannot attend an event from Trips and Events to meet people, you can still apply using the process above, but instead of "Sponsor's name", please write 2-3 sentences about yourself and the reason why you wish to become a member of VFTT. If you have a blog, or hiking picture site, or any other backcountry online presence, a link to that will suffice.

We do not want to deny membership for legitimate backcountry enthusiasts but we do want to prevent spammers and people with too much time on their hands from registering.

If you are reading this and want to join, follow the link above for instructions on how to request membership.

Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays/Happy New Year,
Tim

The AMC boards were inconsistently moderated and there were many folks who were actively seeking to disrupt them. I don't recall the personalities but they weren't there to be helpful. I don't miss those boards.

If anyone remembers Rec.backcountry, trolls and flame wars were expected. There was great info but with no moderation the signal to noise ratio was too low for most to tolerate