Pennslyvania

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sapblatt

Reaction score
Hi all - Have to go on a much anticipated (read:dreaded) trip to PA next weekend to see the in (out) laws. We will be in the Haverford/Villanova area (30 minutes west of Philadelphia). Do any of you know of any nice areas within 30-40 minutes of there (parks, preserves, etc) where one could go to hike for a few hours? (read: hide and escape.)
Any and all suggestions are appreciated...you could consider this something of a reverse SAR on my behalf! :D

Last edited:
Re: SE Pennsylvania

Highly recommend the trail network at Ridley Creek SP / Tyler Arboretum (just off Rt 1) - mature forest, creeks, hills & dales, or the trails along Wissahickon Creek in Fairmount Park (far NW Pilladelphia, & close to REI). Both under 30 min from where you will be.

AMF has great ideas... also, if you want to go just a little farther, French Creek State Park is about a 40 minute drive, and the AT near Reading is also under an hour. And very close is Valley Forge, which does have some areas that are somewhat secluded. Expect deer by the dozens. If you bring a bike, there are some good bikeways in the area too. Not a bad place to be "stuck"!

Phila is not a bad place to be stuck (I lived there for 10 years). There are alot of great restaurants. I would also recommend the Wissahickon trails. They are very close by. If you run, the running circuit around the river drives by the Art Museum is a nice. Valley Forge tends to get a bit crowdedbut is also very close. Depending of how far of a drive you want, there are alot more options. Hiking in Jim Thorpe at the Lehigh Gorge is very nice but that would be about a 2 hr drive. Great mountain bike riding in Jim Thorpe too. Check with the local Sierra Club for club hikes (at least they used to do alot of hikes) or with REI, conviniently located in nearby Conshohocken PA, Right up the Blue Route RTE 476) from Villanova. You can also do some south jersey pine barren hikes if you want to drive to Batsto NJ to the BATONA trail. I think I have a book of hikes in eastern Pa that i can check when I get home.

Lots of good areas near there. Ridley Creek is a nice state park park nestled in suburbia but has a nice walk along the creek. Valley Forge Natl Park is right there and is historically interesting and loaded with deer. French Creek State Park has a few nice hiking trails and is much more rural. Horshoe Trail starts at Valley Forge and runs west and Conestoga Trail running thru Lancaster County are nearby.
Tons of places along the Appalachian Trail within easy striking distance. Real nice area up above Hamburg. Hawk Mountain is there and also a nice section of trail leading to the pulpit rock and the pinnacle(one of the best views in Pa along the AT). There's a real big Cabella's that is only a couple years old near Hamburg also. It is mainly hunting and fishing gear. But jeez, its fun to wander around in there.

John Heinz Wildlife Refuge right by the airport is usually loaded with a wide variety of birds if ya like looking at them. Also Middle Creek Wildlife Refuge.

Keystone Trails Association has a website.
A couple of books are Pennsylvania Hiking Trails put out by Keystone Trails.
Hike Pennsylvania by John Young.
AT Trail Guide for Pa.
You ought to find plenty of places to hike. Pa is a great state to be outdoors in.