Tropical Storm Tuesday and Wednesday

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

Super Moderator
Staff member
VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
Looks like a fast mover but as of this AM the center is going slightly west of the whites. No doubt rivers will rise and back roads could be a problem.

Looks like the track shifted west,more wind less rain for the whites. VT and the ADKS looks like they get the heavy rains.

and the Catskills and Taconics. As we saw with Irene and Sandy, the Greens are pretty steep and water flows too quickly when it comes down in buckets

Reminds me of Hurricane Irene. I was up in Baxter with a group at the group sites near Roaring Brook. We came down off the summit after a Knifes Edge hike and we met a ranger at Chimney Pond. he asked if we were camping there and we said no, he said, that's good as no one is camping there as the park would be evacuated by 10 AM the next morning. We got to Roaring Brook and the ranger told up to leave immediately. I drove home to NH that evening after a couple of long days of hiking. It wasn't raining until I hit the ME/NH state line. I got home in Zombie mode due to lack of sleep and went to bed. Next morning I turn on the news, RT2 to the east to Maine that I had driven over the night before was closed due to flooding, Rt 16 to the south was closed as the road was washed out south of Pinkham Notch. RT 302 east through Crawford Notch was closed due to the Saco washing out a bridge near Sawyer River road. RT 2 west was open to the VT line. VT was effectively closed. The only way south out of northern NH was I93 through Franconia Notch. VT took the brunt of it but the several news slides in the Great Gulf and the Dry River trail got washed out in a couple of locations. Vermont lost numerous bridge and roads and the state capital complex was under water.

I had several more days at Baxter booked and the park called on Sunday afternoon to ask where to send the refund. I asked when they planned to reopen and ended up rebooking a couple of nights in the park with Stan and Eric at Kidney Pond on the day they reopened. We did Doubletop and the ranger asked us to report in on conditions as we were the first to hike it post Irene.

Blew thru N NJ ~1+ hrs ago. Center is nearing Albany now. Lots of downed trees and electric wires.

Last edited:
NWS says 91 in WMV tomorrow. Guess it is going to be tropical after the storm passes.

Edit : misspoke. 83. Still hot and humid though. Tons of power out in Bartlett, Jackson, Conway.

Last edited:
But a lot less water than Irene. We're due here in the Adirondacks for 2-3 inches over 24 hours. Irene delivered 13 inches in 10 hours. For reference, in western Virginia in 1969 Camille delivered an estimated ***30*** inches of rain in 3-5 hours.

So there's flooding, and then there's FLOODING.

Over here in Keene NY we got about 2.5" of rain. Almost no wind. No visible damage, just some water pooling in some poorly drained areas.

IMHO, in my area, Gorham NH, there was far more rain about a month ago from an unnamed storm than from this one. I think the speed of the storm saved us.

I'm in Eastern CT and CT as a whole got wrecked. Very little rain but those gusty winds brought down trees all over the freakin place. Lot of "land locked" neighborhoods where 5 of the 6 roads in or out were blocked. Many major state roads like Rte 44, Rte 197, etc still have blockages with trees laying on lines even after 3 days. I haven't had power since TUE and my work location where I am now in RI just got it back today. I have yet to see an Eversource or other utility crew anywhere in my area. Thankfully they've at least started clearing some trees off the roads. Been super annoying trying to get around and doing the whole "no you first/oh no you go first" dance at street lights that are out.