Upticks in Infections in Mass and RI

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In CT, we've had some zero death days and one person death days so if it goes up to two, CT goes red on the map showing a large increase in the percentage of deaths. We certainly want to stay vigilant.

In CT, we've had some zero death days and one person death days so if it goes up to two, CT goes red on the map showing a large increase in the percentage of deaths. We certainly want to stay vigilant.

It's hard for me to believe that Connecticut will go red if there is one covid death. AFAIK, the decisions are based on infection rate (or change in percentage)...because death is a lagging indicator and the infection is already in the statistics.

I am morbidly curious about infection rate in northern NH. If the virus is coming in, and the transmission mechanism is through the air, infection rates should increase there.

The Concord HS is going to start with remote learning...what about Connecticut? Also, I see 98% compliance with mask usage at all the big box chains in Concord...things changed with the second wave.

Of all the states in the Northeast, Maine seems to react the most quickly. I booked a hotel for some kayaking on Mount Desert Island. The hotel claims to have 24 hours between possible occupancy in the room. They also sent an email to confirm my residence.

Last edited:
It's hard for me to believe that Connecticut will go red if there is one covid death. AFAIK, the decisions are based on infection rate (or change in percentage)...because death is a lagging indicator and the infection is already in the statistics.

I am morbidly curious about infection rate in northern NH. If the virus is coming in, and the transmission mechanism is through the air, infection rates should increase there.

The Concord HS is going to start with remote learning...what about Connecticut? Also, I see 98% compliance with mask usage at all the big box chains in Concord...things changed with the second wave.

Of all the states in the Northeast, Maine seems to react the most quickly. I booked a hotel for some kayaking on Mount Desert Island. The hotel claims to have 24 hours between possible occupancy in the room. They also sent an email to confirm my residence.

There are so many maps out there measuring everything from positive tests to deaths. Our testing positivity rate on day's I've seen is below 1%. Three of the four members of the house have been tested twice, my daughter three times, all negative. In Windham, if you get there early there is hardly any line and we got the last results in less than 48 hours.

In New Hampshire, virus transmission precautions taken -- and enforced -- are definitely business-by-business. A couple of small bed and breakfasts in the Lakes Region are enforcing a mask-in-all-common-areas rule; others are not. Some flip rooms the same day; others wait 24 hours, like the place you mentioned in Maine. Some NH eateries are packed with maskless patrons, ironically, waiting for take-away to avoid sitting in the dining area. A friend of ours wanted to stay at the Mt. Washington Hotel for an anniversary in September, but felt uncomfortable doing so because, according to him, masks were optional.

Everything seems so piecemeal, with no over-arching structure or guidelines.

Everything seems so piecemeal, with no over-arching structure or guidelines.
I believe commenting on this directly would break the VFTT rules. However, if the New Englander who made, "it is what it is" so hated by sports media said all people in his locker room will wear masks, they would wear them or get booted from the places at Gillette that he is in charge of. That's leadership.

I patronize a business that sells sandwiches that has a sign on the door that says "No masks required". I love that place. Blind obedience to authority is not a virtue. No ill affects from not wearing a mask.

I patronize a business that sells sandwiches that has a sign on the door that says "No masks required". I love that place. Blind obedience to authority is not a virtue. No ill affects from not wearing a mask.
Respectfully some see "blind obedience " while others see a simple adherence to real and factual science. I go to northern Maine every few weeks and live in southern Nh. I have been up to Maine all during this pandemic and can safely say between both states I have witnessed every opinion on masking. I have chosen to mostly not engage others in talking about masking because life is too short to argue all day. A couple of observations though. 1] Maine seems to have more big box stores requiring masking in which locals are most def not wearing a mask while Nh stores that don't require masks have a higher percentage of patrons wearing them. My theory is that the virus has not burned through Northern Maine yet as it has in Mass. so people are not as concerned. I work sometimes in Salem Nh and find residents from had hit cities such as Lawrence wear the mask 100 percent of the time because they know someone who has passed from the virus. Everyone has to find their own way through the mask issue. When I go inside anywhere I put the mask on.Why not? Outside I do not and I try to stay away from large crowds.

I agree that common sense should prevail.

As with most things, there is a spectrum in the population. I have friends who have bought the media fear-mongering hook, line and sinker, wildly repeat every scary sounding report, and insist that anyone who is not totally terrified is a "science denier." I also have met plenty of people who willfully and foolishly ignore common sense precautions like masks and distancing. But most people are in the middle, and should just keep practicing common sense.

An interesting article I read recently suggested something I had not thought of: the fact that masks are only partially effective may be a long term positive for developing immunity in the population.

https://www.ucsf.edu/news/2020/07/418181/one-more-reason-wear-mask-youll-get-less-sick-covid-19

Apparently, more people are getting exposed to "low viral load" amounts of Covid-19 BECAUSE masks are not perfect. Many of these people get mild or no symptoms, but develop some immunity.

The problem with common sense is that it's surprisingly rare.

Very true. As the saying goes..."common sense is the least common of the senses"

And, a corollary..."the two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity"

Last edited:
How would you possibly know how many people you have infected? Do you know what wearing a mask is for?

Its a placebo so people can feel they are doing "something". Its too calm the masses so they don't panic. Its less than 2% more effective than washing your hands and physically distancing from people. At the same time it reduces your oxygen levels and increases carbon dioxide while doing nothing to protect others. Some stranger on TV told you to wear it. The same stranger 4 months ago told you not to wear masks. Why would you believe anyone without doing your own research and testing? Because somehow they are in a position of authority? Who placed them in that position? Have you vetted their qualifications to make decisions on your quality of life? Why do you let others make decisions for you?

Look up photos of what virologists actually wear when avoiding viral infections. Its not a silly cloth mask.

Its a placebo so people can feel they are doing "something". Its too calm the masses so they don't panic. Its less than 2% more effective than washing your hands and physically distancing from people. At the same time it reduces your oxygen levels and increases carbon dioxide while doing nothing to protect others. Some stranger on TV told you to wear it. The same stranger 4 months ago told you not to wear masks. Why would you believe anyone without doing your own research and testing? Because somehow they are in a position of authority? Who placed them in that position? Have you vetted their qualifications to make decisions on your quality of life? Why do you let others make decisions for you?

Look up photos of what virologists actually wear when avoiding viral infections. Its not a silly cloth mask.

I expect you do wear a tin foil hat though...

I would suggest you take your own advice and do your own "research or testing." Not only do medical professionals, who have spent years obtaining certifications and experience not provided to google searchers, disagree with the assertion that masks affect oxygen levels, but my oximeter would also rebuff that claim. The masks aren't claimed to prevent infection, they are claimed to prevent spread, so what virologists wear to prevent infection isn't entirely relevant. Earlier research on masks was on their effectiveness at filtering incoming virus and earlier guidance was based on that science. Later research focused on a mask's ability to reduce virus loads being made airborne. More complete information becomes available regularly and guidance changes, that's nothing new for any arena. I would love to see any photos you might have of your lab where you're doing your own research and testing.

Last edited:
I would suggest you take your own advice and do your own "research or testing." Not only do medical professionals, who have spent years obtaining certifications and experience not provided to google searchers, disagree with the assertion that masks affect oxygen levels, but my oximeter would also rebuff that claim. The masks aren't claimed to prevent infection, they are claimed to prevent spread, so what virologists wear to prevent infection isn't entirely relevant. Earlier research on masks was on their effectiveness at filtering incoming virus and earlier guidance was based on that science. Later research focused on a mask's ability to reduce virus loads being made airborne. More complete information becomes available regularly and guidance changes, that's nothing new for any arena.

Thank you; well said.

I would suggest you take your own advice and do your own "research or testing." Not only do medical professionals, who have spent years obtaining certifications and experience not provided to google searchers, disagree with the assertion that masks affect oxygen levels, but my oximeter would also rebuff that claim. The masks aren't claimed to prevent infection, they are claimed to prevent spread, so what virologists wear to prevent infection isn't entirely relevant. Earlier research on masks was on their effectiveness at filtering incoming virus and earlier guidance was based on that science. Later research focused on a mask's ability to reduce virus loads being made airborne. More complete information becomes available regularly and guidance changes, that's nothing new for any arena. I would love to see any photos you might have of your lab where you're doing your own research and testing.

Well, it would be nice if we could actually trust "medical professionals" to give us the correct info, but that is not always the case. For decades the government has been telling us to eat "right" and gave us the food pyramid. And...Americans just got fatter and fatter, diabetic, etc. Now, emerging evidence has shown that not only is the food pyramid wrong, it is basically upside down. Turns out that fat doesn't make most people fat...it's carbs (mainly refined carbs). And this was known a hundred years ago, but somehow forgotten in the 1970s or so. And, they still haven't changed it, although some organizations have started to recognize this and changed their guidance.

Anyway, the WSJ had a great article a week or so ago about masks, and which ones work, and which don't. It's good reading.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.