Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Out of State cars getting vandalized at trailheads...

Out of State cars getting vandalized at trailheads...

I致e read a couple of FB posts about hikers from out of state finding their cars vandalized (spray painted, tires slashed) when they get back from hiking. I知 looking to do Cabot next week and I知 concerned since I知 from RI. Does anyone know if this is starting to happen more now that the trails are packed with out of state people? I知 not sure if parking at a more remote trailhead like Cabot is a good thing or potentially a bad thing.

Quote Originally Posted by SherpaWill View Post
    I’ve read a couple of FB posts about hikers from out of state finding their cars vandalized (spray painted, tires slashed) when they get back from hiking. I’m looking to do Cabot next week and I’m concerned since I’m from RI. Does anyone know if this is starting to happen more now that the trails are packed with out of state people? I’m not sure if parking at a more remote trailhead like Cabot is a good thing or potentially a bad thing.
    The hatchery is gated overnight and is busy enough with employees during the day that I wouldn't worry too much there. Maybe even use Mill Brook Trail and park right next to the hatchery building if you're really worried.

Thank you. I’ve never been there so I’m not familiar with the area.

The Bunnell Notch trail head parking is directly across from what is usually an active fish pool with equipment shed down the road. Hatchery folks needs to drive by there during the day. Unknown Pond parking is slightly more remote off the main road. If you are doing to loop park at Bunnel notch an check out the fish. I would not be surprised if the hatchery has a hidden game camera near the fish run in case someone gets too interested in the fish. If you havent been there, I have heard from others that some of the car nav aps have not figured out that RT110 in Berlin has been relocated. It used to be nightmare to follow but its now a dedicated roadway. When you are coming from the south in Berlin and go past the Aubuchon Hardware and start looking for the first left on top of rise in the road, its east to miss the turn onto Rt110.

I too am coming up from Ohio to hike into Unknown - but from the north via Mill Brook Rd Trailhead. I'm coming in on a Monday and hiking out on a Thursday. That's about as remote as it gets I'd think. Any concerns? Hell, spray paint if you want, but I'd sure be screwed if they cut my tires. If something like that happened, is there phone service at the trailhead? If not, any chance of a car driving by? I will be with my dog, so that would complicate things.
    Last edited by rbi99; 08-07-2020 at 12:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rbi99 View Post
    I too am coming up from Ohio to hike into Unknown - but from the north via Mill Brook Rd Trailhead. I'm coming in on a Monday and hiking out on a Thursday. That's about as remote as it gets I'd think. Any concerns? Hell, spray paint if you want, but I'd sure be screwed if they cut my tires. If something like that happened, is there phone service at the trailhead? If not, any chance of a car driving by? I will be with my dog, so that would complicate things.
    Chances of seeing another person at the Unknown Pond North trailhead mid week are pretty slim and I doubt cell service is available. At the same time it's a 4k route and the hatchery is locking the gate again so I wouldn't be completely shocked if you had company. It's at the end of a road with nothing on it so casually passing traffic isn't really a thing.

Anything can happen but I seriously doubt this is problem location. This is some limited cell coverage in the north country. Northumberland put in cell tower at the junction of RT3 and Rt 110.

Your chances of being singled out for vandalism seems to me to be extremely low. Even if this vandalism spree is real, there are thousands and thousands of out-of-state plates to choose from every day. Remember that it has been months since N.H. started allowing out-of-staters to get lodging in N.H.
    Steve H.
    NH4000 1976-1984
    NE4000 1984-1991

I realize nothing is guaranteed, but I feel better about things now.

If you're really worried, buy a set of NH plates on ebay and put them on at the TH

Quote Originally Posted by maineguy View Post
    If you're really worried, buy a set of NH plates on ebay and put them on at the TH
    Don't even need to go that far. Just take your plates off; you'll fit right in. Or get a piece of paper, write "Motor Vehicle Plate 097XUX" on it and slap it over the RI plates.

Facebook postings have the reputation of an echo chamber. It would be nice to see an original vetted report on an actual incident tied to hiking as the comment could come from come numerous places

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    Facebook postings have the reputation of an echo chamber. It would be nice to see an original vetted report on an actual incident tied to hiking as the comment could come from come numerous places
    The post on FB that I saw of the spray painted car parked at a trailhead on Success Pond Road looked quite convincing. The owner of the car is a well recognized member of the hiking community.
    "I'm getting up and going to work everyday and I am stoked. That does not suck!"__Shane McConkey

So one car being vandalized in an area with a sad tradition of vandalism to hikers cars is a trend?

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    So one car being vandalized in an area with a sad tradition of vandalism to hikers cars is a trend?
    Who needs a trend for it to not be a real drag if it happened to you. I got broken into back in the late 70's on the Kanc. Let's just say we didn't have a party afterwards. I would not want to see proof of a trend personally. These types of incidents seem to be more random and much of the time with long periods of time in between. The fact is they do happen. So let's just say you never know.
    "I'm getting up and going to work everyday and I am stoked. That does not suck!"__Shane McConkey