Out of State cars getting vandalized at trailheads...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SherpaWill

Reaction score
I’ve read a couple of FB posts about hikers from out of state finding their cars vandalized (spray painted, tires slashed) when they get back from hiking. I’m looking to do Cabot next week and I’m concerned since I’m from RI. Does anyone know if this is starting to happen more now that the trails are packed with out of state people? I’m not sure if parking at a more remote trailhead like Cabot is a good thing or potentially a bad thing.

I’ve read a couple of FB posts about hikers from out of state finding their cars vandalized (spray painted, tires slashed) when they get back from hiking. I’m looking to do Cabot next week and I’m concerned since I’m from RI. Does anyone know if this is starting to happen more now that the trails are packed with out of state people? I’m not sure if parking at a more remote trailhead like Cabot is a good thing or potentially a bad thing.

The hatchery is gated overnight and is busy enough with employees during the day that I wouldn't worry too much there. Maybe even use Mill Brook Trail and park right next to the hatchery building if you're really worried.

The Bunnell Notch trail head parking is directly across from what is usually an active fish pool with equipment shed down the road. Hatchery folks needs to drive by there during the day. Unknown Pond parking is slightly more remote off the main road. If you are doing to loop park at Bunnel notch an check out the fish. I would not be surprised if the hatchery has a hidden game camera near the fish run in case someone gets too interested in the fish. If you havent been there, I have heard from others that some of the car nav aps have not figured out that RT110 in Berlin has been relocated. It used to be nightmare to follow but its now a dedicated roadway. When you are coming from the south in Berlin and go past the Aubuchon Hardware and start looking for the first left on top of rise in the road, its east to miss the turn onto Rt110.

I too am coming up from Ohio to hike into Unknown - but from the north via Mill Brook Rd Trailhead. I'm coming in on a Monday and hiking out on a Thursday. That's about as remote as it gets I'd think. Any concerns? Hell, spray paint if you want, but I'd sure be screwed if they cut my tires. If something like that happened, is there phone service at the trailhead? If not, any chance of a car driving by? I will be with my dog, so that would complicate things.

Last edited:
I too am coming up from Ohio to hike into Unknown - but from the north via Mill Brook Rd Trailhead. I'm coming in on a Monday and hiking out on a Thursday. That's about as remote as it gets I'd think. Any concerns? Hell, spray paint if you want, but I'd sure be screwed if they cut my tires. If something like that happened, is there phone service at the trailhead? If not, any chance of a car driving by? I will be with my dog, so that would complicate things.

Chances of seeing another person at the Unknown Pond North trailhead mid week are pretty slim and I doubt cell service is available. At the same time it's a 4k route and the hatchery is locking the gate again so I wouldn't be completely shocked if you had company. It's at the end of a road with nothing on it so casually passing traffic isn't really a thing.

Anything can happen but I seriously doubt this is problem location. This is some limited cell coverage in the north country. Northumberland put in cell tower at the junction of RT3 and Rt 110.

Your chances of being singled out for vandalism seems to me to be extremely low. Even if this vandalism spree is real, there are thousands and thousands of out-of-state plates to choose from every day. Remember that it has been months since N.H. started allowing out-of-staters to get lodging in N.H.

If you're really worried, buy a set of NH plates on ebay and put them on at the TH :cool:

If you're really worried, buy a set of NH plates on ebay and put them on at the TH :cool:

Don't even need to go that far. Just take your plates off; you'll fit right in. Or get a piece of paper, write "Motor Vehicle Plate 097XUX" on it and slap it over the RI plates.

Facebook postings have the reputation of an echo chamber. It would be nice to see an original vetted report on an actual incident tied to hiking as the comment could come from come numerous places

Facebook postings have the reputation of an echo chamber. It would be nice to see an original vetted report on an actual incident tied to hiking as the comment could come from come numerous places

The post on FB that I saw of the spray painted car parked at a trailhead on Success Pond Road looked quite convincing. The owner of the car is a well recognized member of the hiking community.

So one car being vandalized in an area with a sad tradition of vandalism to hikers cars is a trend?
Who needs a trend for it to not be a real drag if it happened to you. I got broken into back in the late 70's on the Kanc. Let's just say we didn't have a party afterwards. I would not want to see proof of a trend personally. These types of incidents seem to be more random and much of the time with long periods of time in between. The fact is they do happen. So let's just say you never know.

The reason for my question is to determine if cars in general are being vandalized at trailheads or are cars with out of state plates being singled out?. Furthermore is this a case of vandalism or theft or property or a blend where the theft is covered by vandalism?. Given that on a typical summer weekend there are a large majority of out of state cars parked at trailheads and there are break ins/vandalism at a lot it will dis-proportionally impact out of staters.

Yes I entirely agree that a car break in/vandalism sucks to the owner . Over the years there have been organized individuals (or small groups) that were actively working lots stealing stuff and I remember encountering parking lots with large patches of broken glass from car windows. The most recent I saw was last year at the East Royce trailhead in Evans Notch. On the other hand if someone is targeting out of states plates for vandalism with no material gain its different story as the lack of material gain shifts this over to different kind of individual. I suppose it take all kinds and there could be someone driving around tagging cars and no doubt at some point their handywork will end up on social media.

I wouldn't worry about it at Cabot. Cabot doesn't exactly attract the "young and dumb" crowd looking for trouble. While it does happen and I often think of it with NY plates....luckily most New Englander's are not the type to vandalize.

I wouldn't worry about it at Cabot. Cabot doesn't exactly attract the "young and dumb" crowd looking for trouble. While it does happen and I often think of it with NY plates....luckily most New Englander's are not the type to vandalize.

The "young and dumb" crowd is what has caused the hatchery to resume locking the gate at night.

Yeah, I camped out at Cabot last Thursday. Seemed pretty safe, especially considering they lock the gates at night.

Man, what a long drive to get up there. I would assume the more southern trailheads would be more likely to receive this nefarious treatment.

I'm thinking vandalism is more likely to occur where you have more bored teens and early 20 types or if you have a drug problem where some of the locals are looking for some quick goods to pawn. Highly visible busy trailheads are likely not a good target unless they allow for easy escapes and have good sight lines so you can see people coming before they see you.