Thread: AMC Huts Open Again

AMC Huts Open Again

I thought the AMC huts were going to remain closed for the season? Apparently I missed the update. Went up Washington via Ammo/Crawford SAT and Lakes Of The Clouds Hut on SAT was open for using the bathrooms, the food take out window was open, etc. They had signs about requiring masks and I presume they aren't doing overnights but I was surprised to see this. Are all the huts operating on a similar basis? Curious.
    NH 48 4k: 48/48; NH W48k: 48/48; ME 4k: 2/14; VT 4k: 1/5; ADK 46: 6/46; Cat 3.5k 10/35

Yes, this has been the case for a while now. Still no overnights though.
    Proprietor, NH 52 With A View Facebook group
    Author, New Hampshire's 52 With A View - A Hiker's Guide
    Author, AMC Southern NH Trail Guide, 5th Edition - Coming soon-ish
    Co-author, AMC White Mountain Guide, 31st Edition - Coming in 2022

Yes, all the huts opened this way at the same time. They all now have outdoor water taps, bathroom access during the day, and limited food service.
    You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself, any direction you choose. -- Dr. Seuss

A friends daughter works in the ADKS at one of the lodges. They offer takeout meals to the guests of surrounding cabins.

With respect to AMC, I wonder if they did the annual supply of perishables and propane cylinders this spring?. Its not unusual for hut crew to lug up perishable goods via packboard but lugging propane cylinders up would be a different story. They are unable to resupply via helicopter except during a small window in spring and fall so maybe they are running on propane leftover from last year?
    Last edited by peakbagger; 08-11-2020 at 01:55 PM.

Iíll add that at Madison, when I swung by there was a pump bottle of hand sanitizer to use adjacent to the outdoor spigot.

Considering the crowds that are on the trails and their apparent lack of LNT knowledge, and from what I read on New England Trail Conditions, proper hygiene and waste disposal.... Potable water and bathrooms in a few places is a welcome sight.
    Have fun & be safe
    Mike P.