AMC Huts Open Again

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DayTrip

Reaction score
I thought the AMC huts were going to remain closed for the season? Apparently I missed the update. Went up Washington via Ammo/Crawford SAT and Lakes Of The Clouds Hut on SAT was open for using the bathrooms, the food take out window was open, etc. They had signs about requiring masks and I presume they aren't doing overnights but I was surprised to see this. Are all the huts operating on a similar basis? Curious.

Yes, all the huts opened this way at the same time. They all now have outdoor water taps, bathroom access during the day, and limited food service.

A friends daughter works in the ADKS at one of the lodges. They offer takeout meals to the guests of surrounding cabins.

With respect to AMC, I wonder if they did the annual supply of perishables and propane cylinders this spring?. Its not unusual for hut crew to lug up perishable goods via packboard but lugging propane cylinders up would be a different story. They are unable to resupply via helicopter except during a small window in spring and fall so maybe they are running on propane leftover from last year?

Last edited:
I’ll add that at Madison, when I swung by there was a pump bottle of hand sanitizer to use adjacent to the outdoor spigot.

Considering the crowds that are on the trails and their apparent lack of LNT knowledge, and from what I read on New England Trail Conditions, proper hygiene and waste disposal.... Potable water and bathrooms in a few places is a welcome sight.