Great Range Traverse 8.13.20

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomcat32

Reaction score
Last Thursday I tackled the Great Range Traverse in the Adirondacks. I started at Rooster Comb TH hitting the Wolf Jaws, Armstrong, Gothics, Saddleback, Basin, Haystack, and Marcy after a warm up on Rooster Comb and Hedgehog. I hiked out Phelps Trail to the Garden with a cool down road walk back to Rooster Comb TH.

26 miles with 9500' climbing I started 530am and back at car 610p. Great hike but I give the edge to the Presi traverse with its extended time above treeline.

I have the detailed TR and 100+ photos at my website at the link http://www.tomcatsadventures.com/2020/08/the-great-range-traverse.html

Here are few pics
Great Range Traverse 8.13.20 036.jpgGreat Range Traverse 8.13.20 061.jpgGreat Range Traverse 8.13.20 120.jpgGreat Range Traverse 8.13.20 120.jpgGreat Range Traverse 8.13.20 129.jpgGreat Range Traverse 8.13.20 136.jpg

Great Time and looks like you had fabuolous weather. I've done the GRT over a couple of days out of JBL. Because I am much more familiar with the Presidentials, for me, the view from the above treeline peaks of the ADK offer me views from places I've not been to several times. For where I've been in the East, Katahdin is easily #1. After that Haystack and the view of Panther Gorge is #2. Numbers 3-10 are all close together and some depend on the weather I had on different days or people I went with that day.

Haystack is closer to #3 then it is to Katahdin, however, it's clearly #2 for me.