Abrasion Protection For Trailrunners

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DayTrip

Reaction score
I've been wearing trail runners for several seasons now and finally found a model that fits my foot very well. A common problem I've had with all of these shoes though is quickly wearing through the material on the pointy area where the bone of my little toe is on the outside of the shoe. It wears quickly from rubbing and eventually a hole forms that quickly grows and lets the bone stick through, which eventually leads to wear marks on my socks now too.

Is there any sort of tape or iron on material or epoxy type product that I could apply to these high wear areas to extend the life of the shoe's material? Not sure if anything pliable enough to stay on the shoe would help at all with abrasion and I was worried that glues or similar products might have a chemical reaction that actually damaged the shoe fabric worse than the normal wear and tear. If such a thing exists I'd love to know about it. It's only a small area that needs the help. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

I have the same issue and with EEEE sized feet, its a major wear point. The best solution I have found is Shoe Goo. Its offered in black and white and has been around a long time. New Balance is my preferred brand of trail runner but they have really cut down their 4E choices. The current model has a fabric exterior. As long as its clean the shoe goo can be applied and then worked into the fabric and its there as long as the shoe lasts. If applied over a solid vinyl or leather surface it may eventually peel off. The rougher the surface the better the long term bond, heavy grit sandpaper can make the surface rougher. The key thing is the surface needs to be clean. If you can smear it into the seams it gives it a bit better bond. Some folks use it build up the outer sole, it has worked for me to limited extent but less successfully than for abrasive surfaces.

I have a pair of New Balance trail boots that are probably past hiking use but handy for working wood, they have molded on soles and after years of good service the sole delaminated from the boot. I cleaned it up and scuffed it with heavy sandpaper and applied a layer of shoe goo and then put weights in the boots to hold things together. That repair gets me a couple of seasons and on occasion I hike with them. I also have used it to reattach the velcro strips applied the back of the heel for mini gaiters.

The one caution is this stuff is loaded with toluene and other solvents, it gives off a very noticeable odor when setting. I recommend applying it in well a ventilated area and letting it sit outdoors for a few days. Note the clear does darken the surface. I expect it will get banned or reformulated into something that does not work as well someday due to its solvent content.

Barge Cement is a similar product that I have less experience with but others seem to be happy with.

Last edited:
I have the same issue and with EEEE sized feet, its a major wear point. The best solution I have found is Shoe Goo. Its offered in black and white and has been around a long time. New Balance is my preferred brand of trail runner but they have really cut down their 4E choices. The current model has a fabric exterior. As long as its clean the shoe goo can be applied and then worked into the fabric and its there as long as the shoe lasts. If applied over a solid vinyl or leather surface it may eventually peel off. The rougher the surface the better the long term bond, heavy grit sandpaper can make the surface rougher. The key thing is the surface needs to be clean. If you can smear it into the seams it gives it a bit better bond. Some folks use it build up the outer sole, it has worked for me to limited extent but less successfully than for abrasive surfaces.

I have a pair of New Balance trail boots that are probably past hiking use but handy for working wood, they have molded on soles and after years of good service the sole delaminated from the boot. I cleaned it up and scuffed it with heavy sandpaper and applied a layer of shoe goo and then put weights in the boots to hold things together. That repair gets me a couple of seasons and on occasion I hike with them. I also have used it to reattach the velcro strips applied the back of the heel for mini gaiters.

The one caution is this stuff is loaded with toluene and other solvents, it gives off a very noticeable odor when setting. I recommend applying it in well a ventilated area and letting it sit outdoors for a few days. Note the clear does darken the surface. I expect it will get banned or reformulated into something that does not work as well someday due to its solvent content.

Barge Cement is a similar product that I have less experience with but others seem to be happy with.

This product sounds like exactly what I was imagining. I'll look into it. Thanks.

Gear Aid has a similar product called Freesole that could work. I believe per oz Freesole is more expensive.