Parker's Motel in Lincoln

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rbi99

Reaction score
I had to search high and low for an inexpensive but clean place to stay both before I backpack into Unknown Pond, and after I come out. Had rooms booked in VT until I found out that I can't stay in VT without first quarantining. Found Parker's Motel in Lincoln and booked there for three nights total. It's going to be a long drive from Cleveland, figuring 12 hrs. I am certainly not expecting the Ritz or anything close to that. A comfortable bed in a clean room and a place that allows dogs is all I am after. Anyone know anything about this motel?

Who knows, maybe they're part of a horrible child-exploitation ring in a pizza shop, but my experience has been four or five visits (between 2008 & 2016), always positive. Yes, clean rooms and a generally professional approach. No idea about pets.

Anecdote: I was checked in there one winter (2012, I think) for a skiing thing at Zealand. As I was leaving 302 and about to clip in and ski beyond cell range, my wife phoned to say that a tree had cut our house in two. I obviously immediately left and packed up my as-yet-unused room at the motel. They refunded me one of my two nights and helped me get on the road as soon as possible. They were gracious, concerned and solicitous.

I would definitely return, they were awesome.

I hope this helps and that you have a good trip!

Haven't been there is a long while. It was inexpensive and clean; was the right place for the right time. Hit the Woodstock Inn Brewery (not even 10 minutes south from Lincoln) and you'll not notice anything when you return to your room ;)

My wife and I stayed at Parker's probably 6 times, across 4 years. Winter and summer. It was always very clean, very well maintained, and very quiet. We would highly recommend. It's out of the crowds and Disney Land of Lincoln. Franconia Notch Motel is good also, but needs updating.

My wife and I have always enjoyed Parker's. We used to stay at the Franconia Notch Motel until Ed left and it slowly went downhill. Parker's is quieter.

Ignore it

For what it's worth, NH still has a two-week quarantine in effect for people visiting the state from outside of New England for an "extended period of time."

While the state's web site is unclear about the meaning of "extended period of time," the state's attorney general recently contacted the New England Flag Football League about a two-day tournament scheduled here this weekend, to remind the league about the two-week quarantine.

As a result, the league had to un-invite teams from New York and New Jersey.

Not to be rude, but I would simply ignore it, you are going to be hiking mostly, and will have minimal contact with the local population, even if, unlikely as it is, you have covid, and are somehow able to infect someone (unlikely if you are asymptomatic) we are so rural there will be minimal community spread.

This quarantine thing has me totally confused. I was originally going to drive 10 hours and had a room booked in VT. I wasn't arriving until late afternoon and was actually bringing my dinner with me from home and microwave it when I got there. Once I got to my room was not leaving it except to let my dog out to do her business. First thing the next morning I was headed to Unknown Pond for three nights. Nope, wasn't allowed to do that. NH asks that you quarantine, I am pretty sure they aren't forcing you to - like suggesting we wear masks. Trust me, I very much understand the severity of this virus and take all precautions. Three nights in the back country is certainly not the same thing as three days in the city walking about. I might be crossing the line with my two night stay after my dog and I come back from our trip and rebooked our stay at Parker's. I plan on driving around in order to check out the Whites because I have never been here before and hope to come back next year with my wife as well. Not eating out or shopping, just chillin.

As an FYI. I live in Mass and over the last few weeks I have heard that Maine is tracking folks going over the border into Maine by monitoring toll transponder information. I believe Maine has a 14 day quarantine requirement unless you show proof of a negative covid test. Folks who go to Maine for a weekend trip and return to Mass or any other problem state before the 14 days have passed are being sent fines in the mail for the number of days they were in Maine if they had not provided the negative test proof. I believe the fines are $500 a day. I have heard this from several folks who know folks who have gotten fined. I don't know if other states are doing the same thing. You might want to stay off toll roads so you can't be tracked. Again I can not personally verify this has taken place but the technology is out there to monitor your travel and stay so beware.

As an FYI. I live in Mass and over the last few weeks I have heard that Maine is tracking folks going over the border into Maine by monitoring toll transponder information. I believe Maine has a 14 day quarantine requirement unless you show proof of a negative covid test. Folks who go to Maine for a weekend trip and return to Mass or any other problem state before the 14 days have passed are being sent fines in the mail for the number of days they were in Maine if they had not provided the negative test proof. I believe the fines are $500 a day. I have heard this from several folks who know folks who have gotten fined. I don't know if other states are doing the same thing. You might want to stay off toll roads so you can't be tracked. Again I can not personally verify this has taken place but the technology is out there to monitor your travel and stay so beware.

This is why I refuse to get an EZ pass, thank God I live in New Hampshire, a "safe state"

This is why I refuse to get an EZ pass, thank God I live in New Hampshire, a "safe state"

If you would enjoy the convenience, Joebaseball, feel free to join EZ Pass -- absent the transponder, these days the systems can simply read your plates.

At least for the time being, keeping off major roads still helps . . .

Alex

I had to search high and low for an inexpensive but clean place to stay both before I backpack into Unknown Pond, and after I come out...

I know you ar all set, which is cool. But if plans change I can recommend Carlson's in Twin Mountain on Rt 302. It's a gem and a blast from the past, as in Olde New England ski lodge and motel.

I know you ar all set, which is cool. But if plans change I can recommend Carlson's in Twin Mountain on Rt 302. It's a gem and a blast from the past, as in Olde New England ski lodge and motel.

Thanks, but it's a little too rich for my blood at this time. Cost is almost double what I will be paying at Parker's, and like I said before, just looking for a clean room and comfortable bed on this trip. When I come back with my wife next year will keep this in mind - assuming they accept dogs!!!

Thanks, but it's a little too rich for my blood at this time. Cost is almost double what I will be paying at Parker's, and like I said before, just looking for a clean room and comfortable bed on this trip. When I come back with my wife next year will keep this in mind - assuming they accept dogs!!!

Not a very nice thing to say about your wife. :eek:;)

I find this pretty hard to believe.

https://wgme.com/news/i-team/ask-th...echnology-tracking-visitors-from-out-of-state

That is simply not true. If it were, it would not be hear-say or a rumour, it would be all over the news and social media. Look, the only way that northern New England states are trying to limit out-of-staters is via lodging restrictions...and that's only by strict or not strict (or non-existent) reporting from the customer to the hotel/motel.

For N.H., it's a simply checklist that you sign...whether you are truthful or not the lodging establishment does not know. Maine and Vermont seem to be stricter, so I haven't lodged there to try it out. However...virtually all of Vermont is reachable from N.H. as a day trip, and so is Oxford County Maine (western Maine high peaks.)

No doubt randomized data is being used to track trends in all states with EZ pass. Maine lost a lot of credibility on data privacy of private records in the last few months when it was disclosed that a fairly obscure state entity has been collecting and storing personal information that they should not be storing and making it available to police agencies. The reality is that there are multiple entities both public and private that scan license plates along major highways and have databases to track vehicles linked to ownership info in close to real time.

My guess is if such a program was in place they would have been cranking out speeding tickets long ago.

No doubt randomized data is being used to track trends in all states with EZ pass. Maine lost a lot of credibility on data privacy of private records in the last few months when it was disclosed that a fairly obscure state entity has been collecting and storing personal information that they should not be storing and making it available to police agencies. The reality is that there are multiple entities both public and private that scan license plates along major highways and have databases to track vehicles linked to ownership info in close to real time.

My guess is if such a program was in place they would have been cranking out speeding tickets long ago.
Any possibility whom that “Fairly Obsucure State Entity” might be other than hypothetically positioning on rehtorical posturing?

Here you go. You might want to do some basic searching before you get on your high horse. Note the reference to the alleged use of license plate scanners for tracking drug dealers by this group and more importantly tracking people opposed to the Clean Power Connect project, a private project the the Maine governor happens to support. US citizens lost a lot of privacy rights post 911 in the rush to go after "bad" guys, many don't know and don't care how much they have lost. Many have voluntarily given up privacy rights just by using mobile devices, transponders and of course social media. As has been stated in the past on VFTT Facebook members are not customers, they are the product.

https://bangordailynews.com/2020/05...mainers-claims-trooper-in-whistleblower-suit/

https://www.governing.com/security/Maine-Cyberattack-Reveals-Security-and-Privacy-Issues.htm

As for using EZ pass transponders for trending, here is an older article https://www.insidesources.com/your-ez-pass-and-the-state-dot-is-probably-watching-you/

And here is a quick search result on private Automated license plate readers (most state police vehicles are equipped with these units).

https://slate.com/technology/2019/07/automatic-license-plate-readers-hoa-police-openalpr.html Locally Randolph NH has advertised for bids twice in recent years for proposals to install license plate tracking on Durand Road and Randolph Hill road to keep track of vehicles using those roads.

And of course Stingray Technology

https://www.aclu.org/issues/privacy...ogies/stingray-tracking-devices-whos-got-them Maine is listed as unknown but reportedly NH has it.

And here is one on using cellphone tracking data for tracking movements of populations

https://www.businessinsider.com/sturgis-rally-attendees-traveling-covid-phone-data-2020-8

There was a bit of anonymity in rural areas due to lack of mobile data transmission but First Net is slowly being built out to solve that issue. https://www.firstnet.com/

And of course fitness trackers https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...915662-0441-11e8-aa61-f3391373867e_story.html

For those in the stock market a large IPO in the news is Palantir is one of the high profile companies that will gladly scrape the databases, combine them and analyze them https://www.investors.com/news/tech...lti-billion-dollar-deal-wrapped-in-an-enigma/

Many of the tools are in place for "big brother", its not if they are deployed, its how. They all have legit government and law enforcement use but they can be abused as is obvious in Hong Kong and China. There really is no such thing as personal privacy any more, its just an illusion for the vast majority of the population.

In the case of the original false rumor of automated tickets for out of state travelers, there does not appear to be such a program but all the tools are in place.

Last edited: