Covid Bike Week starting this weekend

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

Super Moderator
Staff member
VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
A delayed and very different bike week starts this weekend.They have locked down Weirs Beach, no party tents or vendors. My guess is lots of bikes on the road out touring in packs around the whites.

Sturgis is an interesting experiment. The just completed rally is far larger than any other (460,000 attendees this year). Of course news headlines are breathlessly reporting "one case here and two cases there" but the actual effects of the rally won't be able to be assessed until about a month from now.

Based on the size of the event and the general "non-mask-wearing" I would expect an up trend in cases in areas with large numbers of returnees from the rally. Time will tell - too early to know at this point.

The watch out for New Hampshire might have been the vendors, some of whom were at Sturgis. But I see on the Laconia web site that no vendor permits are being issued this year. Seems like somebody was thinking ahead.

It would be interesting to see how many attend and how many attending in NH were also at Sturgis.

There is actually a study floating around that tracks phones that were at Sturgis and where they went. They excluded cell phones that were in Sturgis prior to the event. The participants spread out after the event all over the country.

There is actually a study floating around that tracks phones that were at Sturgis and where they went. They excluded cell phones that were in Sturgis prior to the event. The participants spread out after the event all over the country.

It's basically the Spring Break of Motorcyclist, I would expect the same spread pattern, the only question is how many symptomatic cases were there before and how many are now out spreading it.

Pretty darn quiet up in my area. Normally the roads are roaring with bikes from the first to last weekend.

I think the smaller scale is mostly having the effect of people staying closer to Laconia, same density smaller area rather than lower density over the same area. The pictures from Laconia are still looking pretty crowded (although not quite as packed as typical). Usually we have massive bike traffic down here, too, and it's been relatively quiet.

Pretty darn quiet up in my area. Normally the roads are roaring with bikes from the first to last weekend.

I was in the Sandwich area this weekend. The 95/16/25/109/171/113 commute was uneventful, not many more toy haulers or bikes than usual, and the roar in the distance was pretty subdued.

A delayed and very different bike week starts this weekend.They have locked down Weirs Beach, no party tents or vendors. My guess is lots of bikes on the road out touring in packs around the whites.

I must be slow on the uptake because I just noticed that you called it "Covid Bike Week" ! :D:D

Last edited:
I was in the Sandwich area this weekend. The 95/16/25/109/171/113 commute was uneventful, not many more toy haulers or bikes than usual, and the roar in the distance was pretty subdued.

I went up Potash yesterday and the Kanc was BUSY!

Champney Falls parking was blown out with cars on both sides of the road.

The Downes Brook parking area was full and I've never seen that before. I know this is a jumping off point for three trails but geeze, it was Wednesday!

Most hikers on Potash happily mask-free but polite, apologetic and willing to distance once they saw my mask go up.

The din of Harleys traversing the Kanc seemed about normal for a Bike Week day.

I went up Potash yesterday and the Kanc was BUSY!

Champney Falls parking was blown out with cars on both sides of the road.

The Downes Brook parking area was full and I've never seen that before. I know this is a jumping off point for three trails but geeze, it was Wednesday!

Most hikers on Potash happily mask-free but polite, apologetic and willing to distance once they saw my mask go up.

The din of Harleys traversing the Kanc seemed about normal for a Bike Week day.

Maybe the uninformed/tourist hikers think any trail on the Kanc leads to something easy and or awesome? I was at the Livermore Trail-Head (Waterville) yesterday.That accesses a dozen or more hikes. Lot was maybe half full when I finished around 2. Drove by Sandwich and Smarts Brook Trails heading home and neither was overwhelmed. Also, the Livermore Trail in Waterville has several touristy type hikes and I did not see a single piece of trash. That was encouraging.

WVAIA and the ski area are both active in keeping the area up. Not saying there aren't people littering (and I hope they aren't!) but I wouldn't say a noticeable absence of litter is proof of that.

Tim

WVAIA and the ski area are both active in keeping the area up. Not saying there aren't people littering (and I hope they aren't!) but I wouldn't say a noticeable absence of litter is proof of that.

Tim
Kudos to this organization. It’s the folks like this that keep all the trails the way they do. I have ridden a Motorcycle with passion. I retired from that hobby quite awhile back. So far The MWV is quiet compared to most recent years. The Weather would have been really bad for the Ride to The Clouds anyhow.

Last edited: