Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Mt Colden loop advice needed

Quote Originally Posted by hikerbrian View Post
    When I think back on the trip, front and center in my head is the image of me sleeping in my tent with my family, and then getting woken up not by a bear or heavy rain or strong wind, but by a guy with a bright light and a gun right outside my tent. I recognize you and others believe the rangers are really great guys and are doing the best they can.
    Brian, I would encourage you to share your feedback to the DEC. If they can't see any violations, then they shouldn't be waking you up. The DEC should know that this had a significant negative impact on the quality of your trip.

Quote Originally Posted by iAmKrzys View Post
    Hikerbrian,
    Few years ago my son went with his scout troop to Catskills and they got awoken in the middle of the night by a ranger who ticketed them for pitching their tents in violation of some rule (either too close to the trail or a to a lean-to but I can't remember which one it was.) Somehow, reading your story makes it feel more like a playbook tactic for raising funds rather than a mere coincidence.
    If you've violating the rules, especially if you're a group, then you shouldn't be complaining about being ticketed. It's particularly bad that it's a scout troop breaking the rules. Aren't you supposed to be teaching scouts to be good citizens and leaders?

Quote Originally Posted by TEO View Post
    If you've violating the rules, especially if you're a group, then you shouldn't be complaining about being ticketed. It's particularly bad that it's a scout troop breaking the rules. Aren't you supposed to be teaching scouts to be good citizens and leaders?
    I asked my son for some more details. Their group did not fit into a lean-to, so some kids were sleeping inside of a lean-to while 6 slept in tents pitched next to a lean-to which was less than 150 feet from the trail. The ranger came at 1 a.m. and ticketed each of 6 kids sleeping in tents $120 for camping within 150 feet of the trail. I am quite certain that the ranger was in her full right to ticket each of these kids. I'm sure the ticketed kids learned their lesson if not from the ranger than from their parents. Hopefully they will learn all the rules next time and insist that their leader follows these rules faithfully when making decisions for the troop.

Edit: My son said that he turned 18 before that trip, so he was not a "kid" and neither was the the leader who also got ticketed. Not sure about others.
    Last edited by iAmKrzys; 10-08-2020 at 08:04 PM.