Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mt Colden loop advice needed

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    The whites lack "mini rangers". If anything the FS is understaffed and appear to have dropped enforcement of some regulations like the 1/4 mile rule.
    Couple of weeks ago when I did my pemi loop there were 3 bike packers set up with their tents literally at the end of the bridge over the Pemi leaving Lincoln Woods lot (the official bridge not the one down on the Kanc) on a SAT morning. I think there were three different tents, bright colors, reflective guylines, their bikes, etc. The fruit doesn't get any more low hanging then that. If they didn't get fined by rangers I'd say people are able to go ahead and do whatever they want with zero consequences....
    NH 48 4k: 48/48; NH W48k: 48/48; ME 4k: 2/14; VT 4k: 1/5; ADK 46: 6/46; Cat 3.5k 10/35

I've see the "mini rangers" up on Franconia Ridge. Not the most pleasant experience, I will say.

Tim
    Bike, Hike, Ski, Sleep. Eat, Fish, Repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by DayTrip View Post
    Couple of weeks ago when I did my pemi loop there were 3 bike packers set up with their tents literally at the end of the bridge over the Pemi leaving Lincoln Woods lot (the official bridge not the one down on the Kanc) on a SAT morning. I think there were three different tents, bright colors, reflective guylines, their bikes, etc. The fruit doesn't get any more low hanging then that. If they didn't get fined by rangers I'd say people are able to go ahead and do whatever they want with zero consequences....
    At least they didn't have a wheel barrow full of beer and ice with the intent of heading to Franconia Falls.
    "I'm getting up and going to work everyday and I am stoked. That does not suck!"__Shane McConkey

Quote Originally Posted by DayTrip View Post
    When I rolled into Livermore a month ago there were people camping on the grass next to the parking lot. I have seen them enforcing things on the East Side Trail a couple times this season.

Quote Originally Posted by skiguy View Post
    At least they didn't have a wheel barrow full of beer and ice with the intent of heading to Franconia Falls.
    Yeah, I remember seeing groups with coolers slung between poles on their way to Franconia Falls back in the late 60s. Back then the Wilderness Trail parking lot, which held about 6 cars was on the opposite side of the river than the one today. On weekends, cars were lined up for miles on either side of the Kanc.

Quote Originally Posted by maineguy View Post
    Yeah, I remember seeing groups with coolers slung between poles on their way to Franconia Falls back in the late 60s. Back then the Wilderness Trail parking lot, which held about 6 cars was on the opposite side of the river than the one today. On weekends, cars were lined up for miles on either side of the Kanc.
    Regulations were not as tight then. Camping in parking lots at trailheads was not all that uncommon. Also in those days with the Old Osseo Trailhead was on the way down to Loon. It made sense to park on the road between Lincoln Woods and the Osseo Trail if you were doing a loop.
    "I'm getting up and going to work everyday and I am stoked. That does not suck!"__Shane McConkey