Quote Originally Posted by hikerbrian View Post
When I think back on the trip, front and center in my head is the image of me sleeping in my tent with my family, and then getting woken up not by a bear or heavy rain or strong wind, but by a guy with a bright light and a gun right outside my tent. I recognize you and others believe the rangers are really great guys and are doing the best they can.
Brian, I would encourage you to share your feedback to the DEC. If they can't see any violations, then they shouldn't be waking you up. The DEC should know that this had a significant negative impact on the quality of your trip.

Quote Originally Posted by iAmKrzys View Post
Hikerbrian,
Few years ago my son went with his scout troop to Catskills and they got awoken in the middle of the night by a ranger who ticketed them for pitching their tents in violation of some rule (either too close to the trail or a to a lean-to but I can't remember which one it was.) Somehow, reading your story makes it feel more like a playbook tactic for raising funds rather than a mere coincidence.
If you've violating the rules, especially if you're a group, then you shouldn't be complaining about being ticketed. It's particularly bad that it's a scout troop breaking the rules. Aren't you supposed to be teaching scouts to be good citizens and leaders?