Sugarloaf ! and 2 Camping

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisB

Reaction score
Anybody ever stay at either of these campgrounds? Looking for a tent-only site recommendation.

Going mid-week and hoping to grab a FF site.

I have stayed there quite a few times over the years. I went up there last week and couldn't find a campsite on a Thursday. Here seems to be the current situation: The reservable sites are full just about always. THe non-reservable sites will have people coming up early in the week to claim a site, fill out the permit, place a few disposable belongings on the site and maybe set up a tent, then not show up to camp until Friday. THey consider the lost cost of a couple of nights as a investment on having a site when they finally show up. I once had a friend in Jefferson who would reserve a site for you and you would reimburse him with a little extra for the effort. Doesn't sound fair does it? I like SII because it's closer to hiking.

I've stayed at both. Sugarloaf I is the first one when driving up the road. There's a kiosk on the right shortly after you enter the campground that explains the rules and that's where you pay. Not far from the kiosk is a water pump and immediately afterwards is a fork in the road which defines the CCW loop. In the fork is an outhouse. I prefer to stay at a site near the fork so it's close to the water and outhouse.

Sugarloaf II has a few sites near the brook which you might enjoy if you're spending some time there. They are on the right shortly after driving into the campground.

Here seems to be the current situation: The reservable sites are full just about always. THe non-reservable sites will have people coming up early in the week to claim a site, fill out the permit, place a few disposable belongings on the site and maybe set up a tent, then not show up to camp until Friday.

So, someone else could camp there for free during the week? What a great deal!

I've stayed there, last time being at the end of June, very nice sites, we reserved them in advance. I would certainly stay again.