A Direttissima attempt

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

Super Moderator
Staff member
VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
https://www.wcax.com/2020/09/01/managing-the-white-mountains/

Wow hauling 10 days of food adds some effort. Many attempts and near attempts in the past were scheduled around the summer solstice to take advantage of long days. The trade off usually was brutally hot weather which was the cause for some attempts ending. Doing one this time of year requires warmer heavier gear and more days on the trail or a lot of headlamp hiking which means more batteries and more weight. No doubt the initial pack weight along with recovering from an ankle strain is going to be an issue in the first few days.

Best of luck to him.

I saw this on WCAX as well. Best of luck to him! Definitely a lot to carry, although thank god the bugs are gone and it's not very hot. I would love to try this someday.

Rich Gamble just started his 4th. He's looking to go sub 8 days, unsupported.

Rich Gamble just started his 4th. He's looking to go sub 8 days, unsupported.
Does anyone ever do this and just take their time? I remember reading an article in Appalachia Back in in the 80’s of one of the first recorded Direttissimas. I believe the gentleman did it as a series of day hikes over an extended period of time. He always picked up where he left off from the previous hike. I always thought that if you had plenty of time to just do one of these at a leisurely pace say over the course of a Month or six weeks as a combination of day and mostly backpacking trips would be inspiring. In other words take your time and stop to smell the roses.

Does anyone ever do this and just take their time? I remember reading an article in Appalachia Back in in the 80’s of one of the first recorded Direttissimas. I believe the gentleman did it as a series of day hikes over an extended period of time. He always picked up where he left off from the previous hike. I always thought that if you had plenty of time to just do one of these at a leisurely pace say over the course of a Month or six weeks as a combination of day and mostly backpacking trips would be inspiring. In other words take your time and stop to smell the roses.

That's not how its done. The whole point is that it is continuous. At least that is my understanding.

That's not how its done. The whole point is that it is continuous. At least that is my understanding.
Only if you are doing it unsupported. Here is a bit of info I dug up from the archives: A bit of history since I think it is important: The first Direttissima, “most direct route,” was actually completed in 1970.

In the context of the NH 4’s, the idea was hatched by Reverend Henry T. Folsom, who in the December 1971 edition of Appalachia defined the endeavor as climbing the 4000 footers in the most direct manner using only trails and roads, starting at one end and walking all the way to the other. Rev. Henry began his quest on June 18, 1970, on Mt. Cabot and finished with Moosilauke on September 3, hiking 19 non-continuous days toward his summer’s goal. Returning home most nights, he also spent 4 nights camping out plus a night at Galehead Hut. Including off-route miles, Henry hoofed a total of 258 miles to complete his Direttissima.

One does not have to carry everything from the start unless they are pursuing an unsupported/self-supported Direttissima

Phll Werner proposed an alternative a few years ago. I cant remember the details but I think staying at AMC huts was okay. I think Mats formalized the unsupported concept on VFTT.

People are using the term for several different but related things. Mats specifically did unsupported single push (plus push-ups on the summit) and was the first in modern times to resurrect the idea. Phil Carcia did single push but supported.

Sounds like three attempts going on at once right now. Wow. I've met BK doing trail work; he's a pretty neat guy.

For those that find the details interesting. Rich Gamble is carrying 25 lbs. of food and 22 lbs. of gear for is unsupported attempt at sub 8 days.
He stated he " likes to eat and have extra gear".

People are using the term for several different but related things. Mats specifically did unsupported single push (plus push-ups on the summit) and was the first in modern times to resurrect the idea. Phil Carcia did single push but supported.

Sounds like three attempts going on at once right now. Wow. I've met BK doing trail work; he's a pretty neat guy.

The term actually originates from Alpine Climbing and has been adapted for the White Mountains of New Hampshire. Like many of these games it's about splitting hairs and creating rules for fun. Which IMO leaves room for one to create and interpret within one's own imagination. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direttissima_(climbing)