North Woods Law of lost Pemi Loop Hiker

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Salty

Reaction score
I just recently saw the season premier (thank you DVR...) of the show, and it was a 2 hour episode largely focusing on the SAR of the guy attempting the Pemi Loop who was lost for something like 4 days. It is a great, relatively in-depth look at the methods used and efforts made to find this guy, including a couple of F&G guys searching one of the drainages adjacent to the Bondcliff trail, and another couple of guys checking out the Bondcliff area from below, coming up from Franconia Brook to what appeared to be the Bondcliff-Bond col. The National Guard chopper was also used to land SAR personnel, including on Guyot. A lot of details I didn't know about (including the search was on the verge of being called off).

While I was watching I was looking at one of the Pemi SAR members. Ah yes, that is indeed Steve Smith. :)

This would be Season 14, Episode 1, "Running Out of Time," which can be viewed at the link below, though you'll need to sign in with your TV provider to watch it. Probably the best episode I've seen of this series.

https://www.animalplanet.com/tv-shows/north-woods-law/full-episodes/running-out-of-time

Click bait for those of us who eschew TV

I just read about this rescue in Appalachia Journal Accidents section. Some interesting facts:

Victim attempting the one-day, 31-mile Pemi Traverse was 70 years old
He became adrift in time for the better part of 3 days. He still can't account for that period.
Sightings by other hikers pegged his location around the Bonds and led to his rescue
He was found near a stream but was severely dehydrated

Did they take those ATVs over Franconia Brook and into the Pemi Wilderness?

Tim

I ran into a FS employee on the way out after a trip back there who was very curious about if we saw their tracks. They weren't exactly happy about them going past the W boundary. I didn't think rescues were an exception to the rule? Anyone know?

Wouldn’t won’t you to loose your credibility here. You owe me one.:). https://youtu.be/tbDalYs0ljo

Rock and roll skiguy. Thanks. :eek: Though I probably don't carry a lot of cred here. :D

Did they take those ATVs over Franconia Brook and into the Pemi Wilderness?

Yep, I caught that. I noticed the sign was kinda hidden each time they went up past the bridge, but it looks like they took them all the way to the Bondcliff Trail (Camp 16). I guess in case of emergency, it's allowed, which though as surprised as I was, it does make sense to me. Must have been a bumpy as hell ride though. :)

One rather disturbing thing I caught was the two women coming from the abandoned section of trail from the Black Brook Trestle, one of which had a shovel. They had no other trail maintenance tools visible (one appeared to have a notebook). Why would you be carrying a shovel on a no longer maintained trail anyways instead of leaving it if you're going to check out the trestle? It's hard for me to not imagine they were digging around Camp 16, which is highly illegal and unethical, but I suppose there could be a less nefarious reason.

Rock and roll skiguy. Thanks. :eek: Though I probably don't carry a lot of cred here. :D

Yep, I caught that. I noticed the sign was kinda hidden each time they went up past the bridge, but it looks like they took them all the way to the Bondcliff Trail (Camp 16). I guess in case of emergency, it's allowed, which though as surprised as I was, it does make sense to me. Must have been a bumpy as hell ride though. :)

One rather disturbing thing I caught was the two women coming from the abandoned section of trail from the Black Brook Trestle, one of which had a shovel. They had no other trail maintenance tools visible (one appeared to have a notebook). Why would you be carrying a shovel on a no longer maintained trail anyways instead of leaving it if you're going to check out the trestle? It's hard for me to not imagine they were digging around Camp 16, which is highly illegal and unethical, but I suppose there could be a less nefarious reason.

It's a popular illegal campsite. The only tool I've seen FS people on camp patrol carry is a shovel, presumably for dealing with campfires. Do all of the backcountry stewards wear FS shirts or just the volunteers that choose to pay for them?

Personally, I think that guy is lying about being lost in the Pemi for 3 days.

In a TV News interview the week after being found, he was asked about future plans. He said something like: "I wouldn't be tacking those out for a while." and pointed to a pair of work boots that looked like Timberlands to me. No way did he attempt a single-day Pemi Loop in work boots. His feet would be shredded. He's lying. Cheating on his wife is my guess.

Cheating on his wife is my guess.
Nonsense. You should be ashamed of making up wild stories.

He was abducted by the space aliens common to that area (they're fascinated by the disappearing bridge) and he's embarrassed about the anal probing; that's my guess.

It's a popular illegal campsite. The only tool I've seen FS people on camp patrol carry is a shovel, presumably for dealing with campfires. Do all of the backcountry stewards wear FS shirts or just the volunteers that choose to pay for them?

I was hoping there might be a reasonable explanation. Thanks. Can only say I didn't get a shirt for trail maintenance on a USFS trail. :)

Personally, I think that guy is lying about being lost in the Pemi for 3 days.

In a TV News interview the week after being found, he was asked about future plans. He said something like: "I wouldn't be tacking those out for a while." and pointed to a pair of work boots that looked like Timberlands to me. No way did he attempt a single-day Pemi Loop in work boots. His feet would be shredded. He's lying. Cheating on his wife is my guess.

Keep in mind there were several spottings of him around Galehead, far from where his car was at Lincoln Woods, so I would very much doubt that. It was mentioned in the show he was indeed wearing Timberlands.

I just recently saw the season premier (thank you DVR...) of the show, and it was a 2 hour episode largely focusing on the SAR of the guy attempting the Pemi Loop who was lost for something like 4 days. It is a great, relatively in-depth look at the methods used and efforts made to find this guy, including a couple of F&G guys searching one of the drainages adjacent to the Bondcliff trail, and another couple of guys checking out the Bondcliff area from below, coming up from Franconia Brook to what appeared to be the Bondcliff-Bond col. The National Guard chopper was also used to land SAR personnel, including on Guyot. A lot of details I didn't know about (including the search was on the verge of being called off).

While I was watching I was looking at one of the Pemi SAR members. Ah yes, that is indeed Steve Smith. :)

This would be Season 14, Episode 1, "Running Out of Time," which can be viewed at the link below, though you'll need to sign in with your TV provider to watch it. Probably the best episode I've seen of this series.

https://www.animalplanet.com/tv-shows/north-woods-law/full-episodes/running-out-of-time
“Page Not Found
This page is not available at this time.”
I am now on a mission to find the link.