North Woods Law of lost Pemi Loop Hiker

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw the episode a few weeks ago.
I think they had reruns on animal planet right now, I briefly noticed before just paying the 2.99/6months deal for HBO max right now. I knew this was an old post I wasn’t complaining.
I’m happy it was brought to my attention.

I happened to hike up Bondcliff on the last day of the search without knowing, in advance, what was going on. The first sign that something was going on was a row of parked ATVs at the end of the Lincoln Woods Trail (the Franconia Falls Trail end). The second sign was the National Guard helicopter flying by just after I reached treeline on Bondcliff. Another hiker explained to me that they were looking for a guy who was lost. And then, as I hiked out, I saw two guys, one of them old, sitting on a downed tree just before the Bondcliff Trail turns sharply onto the long, flat railroad bed (that is, what used to be designated the end of the Bondcliff Trail). Only later did I realize that they were almost certainly the lost man, now no longer lost, and the fellow who found him. This was partly because, about 15 minutes later, I passed a rescuer heading in who told me that he'd heard that the man had been found. Despite my being there, I have next to nothing to add that you don't already know, except that I can confirm that the ATVs did not, in fact, cross the Pemi, at least on this last day of the search. I attach a picture I took with my iPhone of the helicopter on the ground between Bond and Bondcliff. You may just be able to see a line of searchers approaching the copter to board it.

Attachments

• Helicopter 2.jpg
    Helicopter 2.jpg
    580.9 KB · Views: 8
Anyone know the episode number? I may have missed it in the comments. I love this show, reminds me of home, but there are some episodes where not much goes on (the raccoon finds his own way out of the basement, the hiker made his own way down) and if I knew which episode I could get to the good stuff. (I may have already seen it.)

A FYI, NH FIsh and Game reviews every episode in advance and has the right to demand edits to the show before it hits publication. F&G folks are incredibly hard workers but they have their good and bad days and the show only shows the "good" days. They also reportedly are reminded that they are never to give opinions in public that do not agree with official policy. If they do and it makes it out to public, they get dressed down.

I have noticed that F&G sure has some snazzy graphics on their trucks these days and they seem to be lot newer, I speculate F&G wants to give a good impression. I still will give them my $25 bucks in few weeks.

A FYI, NH FIsh and Game reviews every episode in advance and has the right to demand edits to the show before it hits publication. F&G folks are incredibly hard workers but they have their good and bad days and the show only shows the "good" days. They also reportedly are reminded that they are never to give opinions in public that do not agree with official policy. If they do and it makes it out to public, they get dressed down.

I have noticed that F&G sure has some snazzy graphics on their trucks these days and they seem to be lot newer, I speculate F&G wants to give a good impression. I still will give them my $25 bucks in few weeks.
Worked for DES for years and as we were representative of a State of NH agency, the majority of us refrained from publicly commenting on media articles and voicing contrary opinions during events and presentations to the public. It was never an issue for me and I too, am happy to support F&G in my old and my current states of residence.

Anyone know the episode number? I may have missed it in the comments. I love this show, reminds me of home, but there are some episodes where not much goes on (the raccoon finds his own way out of the basement, the hiker made his own way down) and if I knew which episode I could get to the good stuff. (I may have already seen it.)
Season 14, Episode 1 "Running Out of Time"

Definitely worth watching. Educational and fun to see F&G, Pemi SAR and other teams in action.

I watched the episode back when it first aired. It was very well done and it gave me even more insight to what those Fish and Game guys go through. They are a very impressive bunch and I have always thought quite highly of them. If you ever get the chance. Find a copy of "Smoke form a thousand campfires" by Paul Dougherty a retired Fish and Game officer, it's a very insightful and enjoyable read. I still have my copy. I did look it up and surprisingly the book is going for over 200 bucks used.

I watched the episode back when it first aired. It was very well done and it gave me even more insight to what those Fish and Game guys go through. They are a very impressive bunch and I have always thought quite highly of them. If you ever get the chance. Find a copy of "Smoke form a thousand campfires" by Paul Dougherty a retired Fish and Game officer, it's a very insightful and enjoyable read. I still have my copy. I did look it up and surprisingly the book is going for over 200 bucks used.
It was a very small print run and didnt receive the best of reviews at the time. I read it and figured it was way of mentioning as many people as possible so that the people who knew them would buy a copy. There were a lot of interesting aspects in it but as a friend once commented, he really needed an editor.

Due to economics of the business, the author made most of their money by buying copies at a reduced rate and selling them themselves at various presentations. Steve Smith and Mike Dickerman figured that out and created Bondcliff Books to be able to retain more of the profits from their work as both author and publisher.