Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Rescue and fatality 9/13/20

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Whitefield NH
    Posts
    30

    Rescue and fatality 9/13/20


  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Gorham NH
    Posts
    6,341
    I saw the helicopter fly over my house. It was Flags on the 48 day so thought it was tied to the that event.

  3. #3
    Senior Member DayTrip's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Woodstock, CT
    Posts
    2,801
    Is it just my imagination or does there seen to be less accidents and rescues this year despite the big increase in hiker traffic? Seemed like a lot were happening early on in Spring and then it got relatively quiet. Not sure if I just haven't been paying attention or if there is just no time for various SAR groups to post on Facebook, etc about their efforts or just general fatigue with the public for these stories so they aren't making the news.
    NH 48 4k: 48/48; NH W48k: 48/48; ME 4k: 2/14; VT 4k: 1/5; ADK 46: 6/46; Cat 3.5k 10/35

  4. #4
    Senior Member jniehof's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Dover,NH
    Posts
    1,106
    Quote Originally Posted by DayTrip View Post
    Is it just my imagination or does there seen to be less accidents and rescues this year despite the big increase in hiker traffic? Seemed like a lot were happening early on in Spring and then it got relatively quiet.
    It's always bursty, typical of a relatively low-frequency Poisson process. The last couple of weeks have been pretty busy; they just don't always spur discussion.

    F&G handles public release of information. There was at least one rescue mentioned on their FB page (F&G Law Enforcement and Operation Game Thief is the one to look at) that did not have a corresponding press release that I could find.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Gorham NH
    Posts
    6,341
    There have been other rescues that have occurred that have not made it on VFTT but as the prior poster indicated probably not worth a thread.

    There have been a steady stream of ATV accidents. Many of the valley trails are on glacial silt that turns into hardpan unless its unusually dry. Then it becomes a very fine dust that hangs for several minutes. There was a accident this weekend attributed to the dust obscuring visibility. Even walking though it forms little dust clouds.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Nessmuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    western 'daks
    Posts
    865
    rescues, mainly the dreaded "lower leg injury" or "turned an ankle" continue unabated in the Adirondacks. Some failure to adequately judge time an get caught out after dark with nothing more than a cell phone as a flashlight. I get the weekly DEC ranger reports and it is as busy as ever or more. As part of a state trained SAR team, we haven't been called to a SAR incident in a very long time because the rangers are able to resolve most all incidents, typically within a few hours or less. Unless it is a critical situation and it goes into a second operational day, we do not get to use our services. The advent of cell coverage and 911 downloading of location coordinates has surely changed the face of long term SAR activity.
    "She's all my fancy painted her, she's lovely, she is light. She waltzes on the waves by day and rests with me at night." - Nessmuk, Forest and Stream, July 21, 1880 [of the Wood Drake Canoe built for him by Rushton]

  7. #7
    Senior Member JustJoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Ipswich, Ma.
    Posts
    544
    Quote Originally Posted by DayTrip View Post
    Is it just my imagination or does there seen to be less accidents and rescues this year despite the big increase in hiker traffic?

    I don't know, seems like they've had there share. https://nhfishgame.com/

    I did not do FOT48 with the group I've been doing it with for years. They did South Twin. Heading out, 3 miles form the trail-head, one guy twisted his knee pretty bad from what I understand. At first he could not stand at all. With 3 miles and some river crossings, they decided to make the call. They were told that if they can help the person get out under his own power than they should do their best to do so. Because it would be hours before they could get there because they had 2 other incidents they were dealing with. I guess these were them. My friends managed to get him back to the trail-head around 7 is what I was told.
    Joe

  8. #8
    Senior Member DayTrip's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Woodstock, CT
    Posts
    2,801
    Quote Originally Posted by Nessmuk View Post
    rescues, mainly the dreaded "lower leg injury" or "turned an ankle" continue unabated in the Adirondacks. Some failure to adequately judge time an get caught out after dark with nothing more than a cell phone as a flashlight. I get the weekly DEC ranger reports and it is as busy as ever or more. As part of a state trained SAR team, we haven't been called to a SAR incident in a very long time because the rangers are able to resolve most all incidents, typically within a few hours or less. Unless it is a critical situation and it goes into a second operational day, we do not get to use our services. The advent of cell coverage and 911 downloading of location coordinates has surely changed the face of long term SAR activity.
    Unfortunately I decided not to go to the Adirondacks this year with the sharp increase in hiker traffic, recent parking issues and popularity of the few "major" lots. Considering how insane it has been in NH I can only begin to imagine what NY has been like. As a result I haven't really been reading my weekly DEC email so I've lost touch with happenings out your way. Hopefully next season will be close to normal and I can get up there, do some car camping and hit some peaks. Just didn't make a lot of sense for me this year with everything happening.
    NH 48 4k: 48/48; NH W48k: 48/48; ME 4k: 2/14; VT 4k: 1/5; ADK 46: 6/46; Cat 3.5k 10/35

  9. #9
    Senior Member DayTrip's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Woodstock, CT
    Posts
    2,801
    Quote Originally Posted by JustJoe View Post
    I don't know, seems like they've had there share. https://nhfishgame.com/

    I did not do FOT48 with the group I've been doing it with for years. They did South Twin. Heading out, 3 miles form the trail-head, one guy twisted his knee pretty bad from what I understand. At first he could not stand at all. With 3 miles and some river crossings, they decided to make the call. They were told that if they can help the person get out under his own power than they should do their best to do so. Because it would be hours before they could get there because they had 2 other incidents they were dealing with. I guess these were them. My friends managed to get him back to the trail-head around 7 is what I was told.
    I guess you're right. Incidents just haven't been making there way across my usual news sources. Figured there had to be a lot of issues with all the new and inexperienced hikers out there this year.
    NH 48 4k: 48/48; NH W48k: 48/48; ME 4k: 2/14; VT 4k: 1/5; ADK 46: 6/46; Cat 3.5k 10/35

  10. #10
    Senior Member Mike P.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Colchester, CT
    Posts
    2,970
    Quote Originally Posted by DayTrip View Post
    Is it just my imagination or does there seen to be less accidents and rescues this year despite the big increase in hiker traffic? Seemed like a lot were happening early on in Spring and then it got relatively quiet. Not sure if I just haven't been paying attention or if there is just no time for various SAR groups to post on Facebook, etc about their efforts or just general fatigue with the public for these stories so they aren't making the news.
    It's your imagination and with all the crowds, some of us here have avoided the weekends. As a pessimist at heart, as the weather turns in the fall up high and it starts getting dark sooner, I'm thinking it's going to be a bad fall. October is the month that many days feel nice at the bottom but it can either be nice up top or cold and blustery. With my son working on SAT college choices, I may not get out until November which is good for cold summits, some ice and snow up high, not much sun and since there is a Winter list and all other list, for peakbagging, Novemeber gets you as much credit as June and July. (No bugs and possibly less crowds)
    Have fun & be safe
    Mike P.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    CT Refugee now in NH
    Posts
    932
    Looked like a black hawk came in and landed at Concord later that day in the sunset. I took out the Fight Radar App to see where it had been, but unlike some other military flights, there was no civil aviation transponder track. As aside, the state police, Civil Air Patrol, and the air ambulance flights show up.

  12. #12
    Senior Member Salty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Warner, NH
    Posts
    174
    Quote Originally Posted by jniehof View Post
    It's always bursty, typical of a relatively low-frequency Poisson process.
    Oooo, a fellow geek! :-)

    Quote Originally Posted by Remix View Post
    Looked like a black hawk came in and landed at Concord later that day in the sunset. I took out the Fight Radar App to see where it had been, but unlike some other military flights, there was no civil aviation transponder track. As aside, the state police, Civil Air Patrol, and the air ambulance flights show up.
    Problem with most of those apps is if someone wants them filtered, you get anonymous info. or none at all. My go to, especially for military flights, is https://globe.adsbexchange.com/. It's based off of users' radio receivers to pick us anything with an ADS-B transponder running and has zero filtering.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    CT Refugee now in NH
    Posts
    932
    Quote Originally Posted by Salty View Post
    Oooo, a fellow geek! :-)



    Problem with most of those apps is if someone wants them filtered, you get anonymous info. or none at all. My go to, especially for military flights, is https://globe.adsbexchange.com/. It's based off of users' radio receivers to pick us anything with an ADS-B transponder running and has zero filtering.
    Ok, drifting off the thread more...

    The historical section of that site has been shut down so I can't check.

    In any event the app was showing an MH60 doing some racetrack patterns in Cape Cod Bay last night. Don't they have to keep it on (when not on a mission) for traffic avoidance and control systems in nearby planes?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •