Smokey Sky from CA

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisB

Reaction score
NECN weather reports our hazy New England sky is full of CA wildfire smoke between 20- and 30,000 feet. Brought to us by the jet stream.

Smoke is thick enough to drop today's forecast high temps about 4 degrees.

Smoke pollution on this national scale is a rare event.

I recently backpacked in Sierra Nevada and my observation is that depending on the wind direction you may get air filled with smoke and horrible visibility or a perfect blue sky. Here are two picture of the same peak - one taken at sunset and another one taken next morning.
DSC02485-2.jpgDSC02502-2.jpg

I climbed Mount St. Helens in 2018 when there were wildfires regionally at that time.
The air quality was horrible. My wife and I coughed, snored loudly, and hacked up nasty mess for nearly a month upon returning.
The fires going on now are insane.
The photos from San Francisco last week were apocalyptic.

Thanks for this. I have noticed hazy skies the past couple of days, and have wondered if it is exactly that. Tonight the sun was filtered enough about 1/2 hour before sunset that it was stunning to look at.

I was on Lafayette on Wednesday. I didn't notice any, although it was a bit hazy and maybe that was from the smoke. I've been out in WY and UT when there are fires burning, and you can actually smell them, although the fires may be hundreds of miles away.

Last edited: