Trip Report Archives

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kimball

Reaction score
I've added yearly and monthly trip report archives for each peaks on TrailsNH. Take a look at Galehead as an example:
https://trailsnh.com/hike/n/357731142/Galehead-Mountain-NH#tr-archive

The monthly archives should help with evaluating possible winter routes, assessing possible spring high-water issues, as well as reviewing which months see high vs low traffic. Archives are something @bikehikeskifish asked for a long long time ago. After a recent upgrade archives became a lot easier to implement.

The new version of TrailsNH gets peaks and points of interest for the Northeast (15,000+ peaks, 6000+ parks, 1000+ shelters, 1000+ campsite and more) from Open Street Maps.

Am I correct I either have to log in using FB or my Gmail ID in order to see the archived trail reports?

Am I correct I either have to log in using FB or my Gmail ID in order to see the archived trail reports?

Replying again to clarify.

If you do not login you can still read the archive. You will see the date and title for each trip report.

When you login, in addition to the date and title for each trip report, you get the authors name, and the name of the site it came from, and a link to the original post.

Ah but your data and personal info is worth something.

For personal data I get your name and email address when you login. If Facebook or Google send more than that, it just gets deleted.

Nothn's free on the Internet:!)

You're not kidding. The utility costs to run TrailsNH go up every year, and they are significant. And money from advertising drops every year. What's why I've started identifying premium features. The losses are not sustainable, so eventually premium features will require a paid membership.

For personal data I get your name and email address when you login. If Facebook or Google send more than that, it just gets deleted. .

You provide a great service for sure.

But with google or Facebook login won’t data get passed back to them such as user click through and browse histories. ( It’s not you I am wary of!)

For example, if a trail near N Conway is looked at can the evil twins detect that and send a few ads for Valley businesses to the user via Facebook or some Google service.?

I’m almost certain they do not get browser history. I’ll double check just that.

I’m pretty sure they will see the page you login on. I’ll check. You can login on the home page. Then they won’t know much.

TrailsNH will save a cookie for you, so you won’t have to login on the next visit.

Would Apple login be better? That is now available to me, among many other ID services.