Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 36

Thread: Great article on Yvon Chouinard and the outdoor industry

  1. #16
    Senior Member maineguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    390
    Quote Originally Posted by B the Hiker View Post
    If every time someone tries to post something positive on Views, they get trolled for it, pretty soon this forum will be dead. I hope the moderators consider that fact.
    Brian
    .

    You didn't post something "positive". You posted an article ostensibly on Yvon Chouinard which had lots of opinion about that dastardly man in the white house and how he and his minions are killing the planet. I simply responded. Don't post controversial subjects if you don't want to hear any disagreeable comments. And yeah, I get that you don't think it's controversial, but that's part of the problem.

  2. #17
    Senior Member maineguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    390
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Murphy View Post
    It is difficult to have a discussion without an understanding of each other's opinions.

    With that in mind, a few question I am curious about that I am hopeful you will reply to.

    Do you agree or disagree with the studies indicating that the the global average and combined land and ocean surface temperature has increased 0.85 C [0.65 to 1.06] C], in the period 1880 to 2012; i.e since we have established an instrumental temperature record?

    Do you agree or disagree with studies indicating atmospheric concentrations of greenhouse gases have increased significantly in the period 1880 to 2012; i.e since we have established an instrumental temperature record?

    I have some empathy for the argument that correlation is not the same as causation.

    Thanks.
    Well Tom, I think you have answered your own question there, but I'll play along for the moment. The science of climatology is complicated enough without the political forces screwing with it. I am not going to answer your questions directly, but instead direct you to a neutral website (Britannica) that explores the subject in a pro/con evenhanded manner. I thought it was refreshing.

    https://climatechange.procon.org/?gc..._BwE#arguments

  3. #18
    Senior Member B the Hiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Middlefield, CT
    Posts
    924
    Quote Originally Posted by maineguy View Post
    .

    You didn't post something "positive". You posted an article ostensibly on Yvon Chouinard which had lots of opinion about that dastardly man in the white house and how he and his minions are killing the planet. I simply responded. Don't post controversial subjects if you don't want to hear any disagreeable comments. And yeah, I get that you don't think it's controversial, but that's part of the problem.


    If you want to disagree about Yvon Chouinard, that's your business. I think Patagonia works extremely hard to be a good, decent company, you apparently don't. You leveled an attack, I responded. You leveled another attack, I responded. That's fine. It's a waste of our time, but whatever. But I wasn't talking about that.

    I was talking about the fact that I posted an article about Yvon Chouinard and you hijacked it to deny climate change. If you want to deny climate change, create a thread and do so. But, as I said before, this is a thread about Yvon Chouinard, and let's keep it that way.

  4. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Ipswich, MA
    Posts
    566
    Quote Originally Posted by maineguy View Post
    Well Tom, I think you have answered your own question there, but I'll play along for the moment. The science of climatology is complicated enough without the political forces screwing with it. I am not going to answer your questions directly, but instead direct you to a neutral website (Britannica) that explores the subject in a pro/con evenhanded manner. I thought it was refreshing.

    https://climatechange.procon.org/?gc..._BwE#arguments
    You didn't happen to actually check their references on the con side, did you? For example, in just the first 'con' they claim to have found 1000 "scientists" to disagree. They did that by calling anyone with a BS a scientist. The second part of that 'con' was sourced from a study conducted by a non-scientific organization. A lot of the cons were referenced from folks associated with the Heartland Institute and put up against scientific studies conducted by reputable scientific organizations like NASA.

  5. #20
    Senior Member TCD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,910
    Quote Originally Posted by B the Hiker View Post
    I was talking about the fact that I posted an article about Yvon Chouinard and you hijacked it to deny climate change. If you want to deny climate change, create a thread and do so. But, as I said before, this is a thread about Yvon Chouinard, and let's keep it that way.
    Well, actually you hijacked your own thread. Sorry, but it's the case. You were the first one to mention "oil and gas companies," and the first one to use the term "global warming" in the thread. Now you say you don't want to debate global warming. Fine, I don't want to either.

  6. #21
    Senior Member skiguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Center Conway, NH
    Posts
    2,691
    Yvon is definitely not perfect. But really who is to say. He’s one of the best. I think in a lot of ways he sees the scars he has left on the walls and is paying homage for that to be cleaner.
    Last edited by skiguy; 09-19-2020 at 01:12 PM.
    "I'm getting up and going to work everyday and I am stoked. That does not suck!"__Shane McConkey

  7. #22
    Senior Member ChrisB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    The New Norm
    Posts
    979
    Quote Originally Posted by maineguy View Post
    Wow! And for those who think the oil and gas industry is destroying the earth, just stop using oil and gas. Walk to the trailhead on your next hike.
    Opps. Reductio ad absurdum. Time out for you lobster man!

    Actually the oil industry destroyed mass transit by buying up all the municipal rail companies and removing the tracks so they could sell product to folks forced to by cars.

    Capitalism Uber allus.
    Nobody told me there'd be days like these
    Strange days indeed -- most peculiar, mama
    .

  8. #23
    Senior Member skiguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Center Conway, NH
    Posts
    2,691
    I really did enjoy it back in the day when part of the hike was a hitch hike to get back to your car. I stopped counting on that back around the Last turn of the Century when it came widely apparent you we not going to get picked up anymore. Kind of too bad it got so paranoid. Use to meet some great folks.
    "I'm getting up and going to work everyday and I am stoked. That does not suck!"__Shane McConkey

  9. #24
    Senior Member Steve-o's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Acton Massachusetts Avatar : Baxter Peak
    Posts
    665
    Thread closed. Lol

  10. #25
    Senior Member DayTrip's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Woodstock, CT
    Posts
    2,864
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Climate Change Better World.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	110.9 KB 
ID:	6488

    Sometimes we can't see the forest through the trees....
    NH 48 4k: 48/48; NH W48k: 48/48; ME 4k: 2/14; VT 4k: 1/5; ADK 46: 6/46; Cat 3.5k 10/35

  11. #26
    Senior Member maineguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    390
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisB View Post
    Opps. Reductio ad absurdum. Time out for you lobster man!

    Actually the oil industry destroyed mass transit by buying up all the municipal rail companies and removing the tracks so they could sell product to folks forced to by cars.

    Capitalism Uber allus.
    Municipal rail lines are usually thought of as either subways or streetcars. I can't think of any subway lines torn up and replaced by highways, but streetcars, that's another matter.

    https://www.vox.com/2015/5/7/8562007...history-demise

  12. #27
    Senior Member richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    manchester nh
    Posts
    387
    Too many humans

  13. #28
    Senior Member ChrisB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    The New Norm
    Posts
    979
    Quote Originally Posted by richard View Post
    Too many humans
    In this divisive time it's easy for me to be a cynic and skeptic on my bad days. Why stress about global warming when we'll all be toast after the next asteroid impact (which is due pretty soon by the way.

    Then I get my mojo back and think just live the best life you can by respecting to the planet, it's people and it's flora and fauna. Might not help, but it sure can't hurt.

    Sounds hokey I know, but after 50 years of climbing and hiking, it's the least I can do for my home planet, which has been bery bery good to me.
    Last edited by ChrisB; 09-21-2020 at 08:21 PM.
    Nobody told me there'd be days like these
    Strange days indeed -- most peculiar, mama
    .

  14. #29
    Senior Member skiguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Center Conway, NH
    Posts
    2,691
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisB View Post
    In this divisive times it's easy for me to be a cynic and skeptic on my bad days. Why stress about global warming when we'll all be toast after the next asteroid impact (which is due pretty soon by the way.

    Then I get my mojo back and think just live the best life you can by respecting to the planet, it's people and it's flora and fauna. Might not help, but it sure can't hurt.

    Sounds hokey I know, but after 50 years of climbing and hiking it's the least I can do for my home planet, which has been bery bery good to me.
    Definitely not any Who Ha here but potentially Hokey.
    "I'm getting up and going to work everyday and I am stoked. That does not suck!"__Shane McConkey

  15. #30
    Senior Member B the Hiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Middlefield, CT
    Posts
    924
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisB View Post
    In this divisive times it's easy for me to be a cynic and skeptic on my bad days. Why stress about global warming when we'll all be toast after the next asteroid impact (which is due pretty soon by the way.

    Then I get my mojo back and think just live the best life you can by respecting to the planet, it's people and it's flora and fauna. Might not help, but it sure can't hurt.

    Sounds hokey I know, but after 50 years of climbing and hiking it's the least I can do for my home planet, which has been bery bery good to me.
    A few years ago, I had an awakening--I guess that's the right term to call it--and since then have been trying to walk lightly on the planet. I bought a hybrid, I've been trying to own less, to be more environmentally friendly, and have been trying to support others that do so as well. Patagonia is admittedly more expensive, but they're also a 1% For the Planet company, and they aren't afraid to take on the oil and gas industries that are the basis for the global warming that is threatening our planet, and they truly do try to be as low-impact as possible in their manufacturing. They even facilitate people holding onto their gear longer by helping to repair it, and also to resell it.

    I also changed checking accounts to Bank of the West, which is another 1% For the Planet company. (There's an article on that banking account here:
    https://www.outsideonline.com/241615...ks-environment).

    I agree with you, Chris! This planet is pretty amazing, and I feel ashamed that now that we know the inconvenient truth about global warming, we aren't doing everything in our collective power to stop it. So all I can do is my part, and maybe share some thoughts with others who are receptive in the hopes that maybe someone else, in some small way, may be convinced to do a bit more as well.

    Brian

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •