Climber killed in climbing accident on Cannon Cliffs

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have done climbs on Cannon that no longer exist. Exfoliation is ongoing and random. Sad for the climber and his family.

Last edited:
The belt-and-kayak-strap harness would sure seem like a wanton disregard for personal safety. There are few reasonable explanations for such risk. I'm sorry for all the people on the ground who had to witness the aftermath.

Moby Grape. Aye. About every other year I consider selling my rack. In the intervening years, I feel excited to get back into the vertical environment, and to bring my boys along for the journey. MB has been on my short list since returning to the East Coast from CA a decade ago. I remember driving by Cannon Cliff as a kid and seeing climbers through my dad's binoculars, thinking that was some crazy s***. And then learning to climb in CA and taking on moderate trad leads in Tahoe and Yosemite. When I got back to NH for the first time in years, Cannon Cliff looked like great fun. And Moby Grape in particular. The ultimate NH classic. But geologic time includes now. Maybe Whitney-G is still reasonably safe? I dunno. I'm not sure I'll ever get my head back into that game. I'm always curious to hear others' thoughts about such things, and whether they struggle to assess the risks. I'm definitely a bit of a scaredy cat.

Cannon Mountain is not stable. Its still decompressing from the last ice age. If I was younger and wanted to take up climbing, that's probably one mountain I'd avoid. There are plenty of other cliffs to climb that are stable.

Whitney-G is even more of a jenga pile then Moby. But because its somewhat of a ridge rockfall from above is hopefully getting pushed to the side. Still Whitney-G is a better first choice - shorter, easier climbing (there are ~4 pitches on Moby that are harder then the crux of Whitney G (which is easy to aid)), plus its easier routefinding.

I've done Whitney G ~10 times (once in winter). First time in 1972, last time last year. It's changed a lot. I've done Moby ~5 times but not for about 8 years.

... Maybe Whitney-G is still reasonably safe? I dunno. I'm not sure I'll ever get my head back into that game. I'm always curious to hear others' thoughts about such things, and whether they struggle to assess the risks. I'm definitely a bit of a scaredy cat.

I don’t think Cannon is any more dangerous now than it was 40 years ago when I climbed there a lot. In geologic time that’s the blink of an eye.

It was dangerous then and is dangerous now as it continues to collapse

Hearing natural rock fall in the Dyke, around the SSS buttress and the Conn buttress was all in an average day at Cannon. I imagine it still is.

I remember the upper part of Sams Swan Song as sketchy and loose. Done Reppys a few times but never Mobey Grape. But, if one of you is willing to lead the other 5.8 pitches ....

Never mind !!

Last edited: