Unofficial Crossings Bypass, North Twin Trail???

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JustJoe

Reaction score
A couple weeks ago there was talk about the old fire wardens trail to Hale. I was unable to make but the group I'm usually with for FOT48 had S. Twin. They mention there were some logs blocking the bypass route. Like you typically see when a herd path tends to show up on trails so they did the crossings. A friend a did a Twins/Bonds traverse Friday and said the same thing. Does anyone know if that is being blocked by the USFS or any other official entity? It's been there for at least 12 years. I shows up on some online maps. I've always wondered why it hasn't been made an official trail, eliminating those first 2 crossings like they did on the Gale River Trail. Thoughts? Official knowledge?

Thanks

Totally IMHO is the bypass is so obvious that someone decided to make things very clear on the direction of the official trail. The bypass has a fundamental problem that it starts out very obvious but quickly runs into a fairly steep slope with no good footbed. During dry weather its easy to drop down into the seasonally dry side channel of the river but in higher water that is not an option so it basically side sloping hanging onto trees. It would require a lot of work to put in a solid trailbed on that steep slope in this 50yard(?) stretch. Once the trail goes past climb up the slope to the firewarden's route the bypass path is far better.

Totally IMHO is the bypass is so obvious that someone decided to make things very clear on the direction of the official trail. The bypass has a fundamental problem that it starts out very obvious but quickly runs into a fairly steep slope with no good footbed. During dry weather its easy to drop down into the seasonally dry side channel of the river but in higher water that is not an option so it basically side sloping hanging onto trees. It would require a lot of work to put in a solid trailbed on that steep slope in this 50yard(?) stretch. Once the trail goes past climb up the slope to the firewarden's route the bypass path is far better.

It's been a few years since I've been on it but don't remember ever seeing it blocked at all. So I was just wondering if it's use is now being discouraged.