Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Former Boston Globe editor dies on Mount Katahdin

Former Boston Globe editor dies on Mount Katahdin

Steve H.
    NH4000 1976-1984
    NE4000 1984-1991

RIP,

That is odd that they were hiking on Dudley Trail as last thing I knew it was closed a few years ago due to major slide and had no opening date.

Edit another report indicated it had recently reopened
    Last edited by peakbagger; 10-08-2020 at 01:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    RIP,
    Edit another report indicated it had recently reopened
    I had noticed that Dudley had reopened on the Baxter Facebook page a few days ago. Don't recall seeing anything anywhere else about that. Got the impression it literally had just opened. Wasn't there an accident on Abol Slide too recently, which I also thought was closed because the trail was rerouted away from it now?

I think folks are still using the bypassed lower section of Abol slide.

A bit more detail here from the Portland paper.

Apparently they traversed the Knife Edge and lost the trail near South Peak.

Both were OK at a 12:30 AM call with a ranger who told them to shelter in place till dawn. By 3 AM one had fallen so I guess they were moving.

Condx were fog, rain and ideal hypothermia temps. Maybe they were desperately cold.

Reminds me of the point Gagne makes in "Where You'll Find me." You gotta have the gear to stay alive until the rescuers reach you.

I was surprised to see the following statement in this article:

Rangers say this was the sixth air-lift off Katahdin this season. It was the second rescue in the park in the space of four days.

I have not seen reports on most of these rescues. Are they not publicizing them?
    Last edited by ChrisB; 10-08-2020 at 05:29 PM.
    Don't let your mind write a check your body canít cash

South Metro Denver Avatar: Basin Ponds Bullwinkle
    Oh no. I hiked Katahdin by Cathedral/Saddle with Don and a bunch of others on our annual Baxter trip about 12 years ago when I was living in MA. What a great guy- generous to a fault, incredibly interesting, and a darn good photographer too. Had lost touch with the group. So sad.
    --would rather be hiking than typing.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisB View Post
    A bit more detail here from the Portland paper.

Apparently they traversed the Knife Edge and lost the trail near South Peak.

Both were OK at a 12:30 AM call with a ranger who told them to shelter in place till dawn. By 3 AM one had fallen so I guess they were moving.

Condx were fog, rain and ideal hypothermia temps. Maybe they were desperately cold.

Reminds me of the point Gagne makes in "Where You'll Find me." You gotta have the gear to stay alive until the rescuers reach you.

I was surprised to see the following statement in this article:

Rangers say this was the sixth air-lift off Katahdin this season. It was the second rescue in the park in the space of four days.

I have not seen reports on most of these rescues. Are they not publicizing them?
    I have seen a couple of "air lifts due to medical conditions" off Katahdin this year. I generally do not make posts for simple medical condition type rescues.

Only a day later and another fatality: https://baxterstatepark.org/2020/10/...qjRKD3npo5kDCQ

Quote Originally Posted by DayTrip View Post
    Only a day later and another fatality: https://baxterstatepark.org/2020/10/...qjRKD3npo5kDCQ
    The Shoulder Seasons take their toll.

With the large crowds of unprepared hikers in the Whites right now. Prepare for a rude awakening in the next few months. Once the cold and ice hits the peaks, there will be rescues and worse, I'm sure of it. The summer is very generous to the unprepared hiker, winter not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by sierra View Post
    the summer is very generous to the unprepared hiker, winter not so much.
    Agreed. Especially this summer where we had basically no rain/inclement weather. It is getting extremely cold in the high elevations now to the point where you need to come prepared for winter temperatures and conditions.
    Spencer
    Bigfoot

Exactly, I am something of a broken record with my children, nieces, and nephews....at least once every Spring and Fall, I tell them that high 30s - low 40s with precipitation is the most dangerous time to be in the woods unprepared.

Getting darker sooner, I was surprised the first one the Dudley around 11:30.
    Have fun & be safe
    Mike P.

That might be a 9 AM start from Roaring Brook. Article does not say explicitly they stayed at Chimney.

If that's the case, looong day for a 75 year old no matter how fit! (Spoken from experience.)

That might be a 9 AM start from Roaring Brook. Article does not say explicitly they stayed at Chimney.

If that's the case, looong day for a 75 year old no matter how fit! (Spoken from experience.)
    That would be 2.5 hours up Roaring Brook, it's been years since I've been on Roaring Brook, however, I am thinking it it takes your group that long on RB, you need to reconsider an October ascent at 11:30 Three and a quarter miles of gradual elevation gain. (ran down it in my youth) thinking that if it takes you more than two, an earlier start closer to 8:00, especially if the weather forecast was iffy for the late afternoon. It's a sad ending and my prayers and thoughts go to the family
    Have fun & be safe
    Mike P.