Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 28 of 28

Thread: NH Covid Ski Area Recomendations

  1. #16
    Senior Member JustJoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Ipswich, Ma.
    Posts
    555
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisB View Post
    I sincerely hope so! But...

    Mid-week hiking traffic has increased significantly in the Covid era. I thinks it's a combination of furloughed folks, fully unemployed folks, work-at-home folks taking advantage of "flexible" schedules and families with kids who are not in the classroom.

    Why, it downright negates the benefits of being a retired old outdoor fart!
    I was just saying that exact thing today. I'm seeing way more people on weekdays. And I'm sure it's because of all the reasons you mentioned.
    Joe

  2. #17
    Senior Member Barkingcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Верхоянский хребет
    Posts
    1,122
    Quote Originally Posted by JustJoe View Post
    I was just saying that exact thing today. I'm seeing way more people on weekdays. And I'm sure it's because of all the reasons you mentioned.
    Agreed -- but, from our experience over the past couple of months, it seems to be that most folks are funneling into already popular destinations, and not so much the more remote options.

  3. #18
    Senior Member Mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Dartmouth, Nova Scotia - Avatar: Lion Head trail
    Posts
    229
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisB View Post
    Why, it downright negates the benefits of being a retired old outdoor fart!
    Shoot. I was planning to retire next summer. What's the point, now

  4. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Stamford, VT
    Posts
    1,381
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisB View Post
    I sincerely hope so! But...

    Mid-week hiking traffic has increased significantly in the Covid era. I thinks it's a combination of furloughed folks, fully unemployed folks, work-at-home folks taking advantage of "flexible" schedules and families with kids who are not in the classroom.

    Why, it downright negates the benefits of being a retired old outdoor fart!
    I'll probably do a recon trip to a couple local resorts during the Thanksgiving weekend to get a feel for the changes, then return midweek to ski.

  5. #20
    Senior Member hikerbrian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Sharon, MA
    Posts
    659
    Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    It would be interesting to see the impact of Covid on season pass sales. My guess is a significant drop ?
    We've forgone our season passes to Waterville this year...
    Sure. Why not.

  6. #21
    Senior Member skiguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Center Conway, NH
    Posts
    2,691
    "I'm getting up and going to work everyday and I am stoked. That does not suck!"__Shane McConkey

  7. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Stamford, VT
    Posts
    1,381
    Looking at the VT travel restrictions, it seems that residents from MA (except Berkshire County), CT, most of NY, NJ, RI, PA and southeast NH will not be able to ski in VT without quarantine.

  8. #23
    Senior Member JustJoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Ipswich, Ma.
    Posts
    555
    Quote Originally Posted by Barkingcat View Post
    Agreed -- but, from our experience over the past couple of months, it seems to be that most folks are funneling into already popular destinations, and not so much the more remote options.
    This is true but I'd been enjoying said popular spots during the week until the sh*t storm hit.
    Joe

  9. #24
    Senior Member jniehof's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Dover,NH
    Posts
    1,116
    Quote Originally Posted by jfb View Post
    Looking at the VT travel restrictions, it seems that residents from MA (except Berkshire County), CT, most of NY, NJ, RI, PA and southeast NH will not be able to ski in VT without quarantine.
    Right now nobody can ski in Vermont; there's no snow. The map is updated every week; a few weeks ago basically all of NH was fine; things will be different again (how, who knows) by ski season.

  10. #25
    Moderator David Metsky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Somerville, MA
    Posts
    4,998
    Quote Originally Posted by JustJoe View Post
    Backcountry skiers are still going to do their thing. Are you suggesting more people are going to take up backcountry skiing because they can't use the lodge? I seriously doubt that would happen.
    That's exactly the discussions happening right now on the ski forums. People are buying new AT setups and skins and are asking about where to ski in the backcountry.
    You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself, any direction you choose. -- Dr. Seuss

  11. #26
    Senior Member ChrisB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    The New Norm
    Posts
    979
    Quote Originally Posted by hikerbrian View Post
    We've forgone our season passes to Waterville this year...
    Here's a question for season pass holders:

    Is it possible to have a seasons pass and not be able to ski on a given day due to the area being at its max quota?

    If so I would think that puts a damper on pass sales!
    Nobody told me there'd be days like these
    Strange days indeed -- most peculiar, mama
    .

  12. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Stamford, VT
    Posts
    1,381
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisB View Post
    Here's a question for season pass holders:

    Is it possible to have a seasons pass and not be able to ski on a given day due to the area being at its max quota?

    If so I would think that puts a damper on pass sales!
    Yes, at some areas. Check out Mount Snow for an example of how complicated it could be. https://www.epicpass.com/info/reservation-details.aspx
    Last edited by jfb; 10-07-2020 at 12:00 PM.

  13. #28
    Junior Member Alex_NH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Location
    Littleton, NH
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by JustJoe View Post
    Backcountry skiers are still going to do their thing. Are you suggesting more people are going to take up backcountry skiing because they can't use the lodge? I seriously doubt that would happen.
    Ski touring is already the fastest growing segment of winter sport activities. I don't think it will be solely the lodge situation that makes people venture out, and obviously families aren't going to bring little kids to steep and deep tree runs, but I expect a pretty big increase in the number of people skiing the backcountry this season if for no other reason than the uncertainty. People will take that money they were going to spend on their season pass and buy an AT setup.
    AT '18, NH48, NE61/67, Redlining 56ish% complete

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •