Black Bobcat

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My wildlife biologist wife saw this a couple days ago and says it's a bobcat (when viewing skeptically). Likely a genetic anomaly similar to the black (grey) squirrels we see.

I was very skeptical when I saw this because there have only been around 20 documented cases of a black bobcat.
But then I saw a comparison photo of a confirmed black bobcat and it looks just like this one. So that's pretty cool, a black bobcat in Danville Vt!

Some tourist will see it and insist they saw a black panther roaming the woods.

Amongst voluminous consumption of information regarding big cats in Northern New England over the decades, I seem to remember coming across a report of a 'black catamount' out of Vermont, maybe from pre-extirpation. Something like this rekindles the fascinating possibilities. I have no strong feelings as to whether or not we have big cats hiding out somewhere in the Northeast woods, but keep an open mind as to the possibility- as well as heard many first-hand accounts and had a couple of interesting experiences myself.

My wife followed the footsteps of her great uncle Harold Hitchcock, a wildlife biologist at Middlebury College who happened to be one the foremost big cat information gatherers in VT. You might find this webpage compilation of more recent sighting stories interesting https://annevermont.wordpress.com/2...iscussing-mountain-lion-sightings-in-vermont/ Uncle Harold is referenced in one of the posts.

I seem to remember coming across a report of a 'black catamount' out of Vermont, maybe from pre-extirpation.

While I wouldn't be shocked if there were cougars in the northeast, melanistic mountain lions don't exist anywhere.

2 Months shy of the appropriate day to post this, but evidence on a NHF&G produced video of a black cat https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLEOv31Yt8c&feature=youtu.be
look way at the top of the screen at 1:55 for the cameo.

Warning- only watch if you are interested in vernal pools, or are pining for spring. The humans in this house think winter just started- but the cameo actor wants spring.

One of my game cameras caught this guy just down the mountain from my house last winter. I showed the picture to two Maine F & G officers and they wouldn't give me an ID.

It has a white patch of fur between the two front legs that is barely visible.

My house is surrounded by 3700 acres of woodland so there are lots of critters that move through the area.

Location N44.55162 W70.32107 on G Maps

Wolverine.jpg

Last edited:
One of my game cameras caught this guy just down the mountain from my house last winter. I showed the picture to two Maine F & G officers and they wouldn't give me an ID.

It has a white patch of fur between the two front legs that is barely visible.

My house is surrounded by 3700 acres of woodland so there are lots of critters that move through the area.

Location N44.55162 W70.32107 on G Maps

View attachment 6929

Thats a Fisher for sure. I've been close to two of them. Not very friendly by the way.