Thread: Black Bobcat

Black Bobcat

https://www.mynbc5.com/article/video...obcat/34286613

Not sure what my initial thoughts would be if I ran into one of these in the woods. Probably a big feral housecat?

Could be an actual (not-very-common) black bobcat. Or a hybrid, crossed between a bobcat and domestic cat.

My wildlife biologist wife saw this a couple days ago and says it's a bobcat (when viewing skeptically). Likely a genetic anomaly similar to the black (grey) squirrels we see.

Some tourist will see it and insist they saw a black panther roaming the woods.

I was very skeptical when I saw this because there have only been around 20 documented cases of a black bobcat.
    But then I saw a comparison photo of a confirmed black bobcat and it looks just like this one. So that's pretty cool, a black bobcat in Danville Vt!
    Spencer
    Bigfoot

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    Some tourist will see it and insist they saw a black panther roaming the woods.
    Amongst voluminous consumption of information regarding big cats in Northern New England over the decades, I seem to remember coming across a report of a 'black catamount' out of Vermont, maybe from pre-extirpation. Something like this rekindles the fascinating possibilities. I have no strong feelings as to whether or not we have big cats hiding out somewhere in the Northeast woods, but keep an open mind as to the possibility- as well as heard many first-hand accounts and had a couple of interesting experiences myself.

My wife followed the footsteps of her great uncle Harold Hitchcock, a wildlife biologist at Middlebury College who happened to be one the foremost big cat information gatherers in VT. You might find this webpage compilation of more recent sighting stories interesting https://annevermont.wordpress.com/20...gs-in-vermont/ Uncle Harold is referenced in one of the posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
    I seem to remember coming across a report of a 'black catamount' out of Vermont, maybe from pre-extirpation.
    While I wouldn't be shocked if there were cougars in the northeast, melanistic mountain lions don't exist anywhere.