Mt Whiteface and Mt Passaconaway - October 9, 2020

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhody Seth

Reaction score
Took a quick trip up north at the beginning of a long weekend to complete my second round of the 4000 footers. I drove up Thursday night and slept at the Ferncroft trailhead. It was chilly when I woke up! I set out just before 7 AM and another hiker who was also getting ready said later that I just missed a black bear and her cubs in the field - bummer! (she was going in the opposite direction and we passed each other near Passaconaway.) Been 20+ years since I'd been up the Blueberry Ledge Trail and forgot how much fun that one is.

It was well past peak foliage but there was still lots of color, especially the stunning yellow birch down low. While I didn't get hiking as early as I had hoped it was still plenty early enough to have the views to myself. There was a little bit of treacherous ice, mostly on those north facing trails. Nothing to dangerous but there were a couple spots that warranted extra attention. After Passaconaway I opted to take the trail less travelled and went down Waldens Trail. This trail was trickier than I anticipated, especially with a generous carpet of fading leaves that had recently fallen. Passed a couple people using this trail. I completed the hike on OldMast Road which was a very relaxing trail. Lot was packed when I finished of course but I was grateful for the early start.

Whiteface was #47 of Round 2 and then later on in the day I travelled over to Carrigain and hiked into the woods to camp. See below for my Whiteface/Passaconaway video!

Please don't sleep at Ferncroft without landowner permission. The parking area is located on private property.