Eliza Brook Tentsites

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miehoff

Reaction score
Hi.

In order to avoid the crowds without driving to the north country, I was interested in hiking Reel Bk Trail to the tent sites and hitting wolf and south kinsman while base camping. Does anyone have any thoughts on this idea? Crowded? Worth it? How about those two peaks? Never been on them.

My goal is to do a 3-4 day backpack below the notch (or beside it) and avoid the masses. I would do this in a few weeks.

Thanks for the info.

You may want a high clearance vehicle to access the RBT trailhead. The lot was in pretty rough shape when I was up there last summer. The stretch of trail between the shelter and Harrington Pond is among my favorites in the Whites. I wouldn't expect much company at the shelter outside AT season and it's not a popular route to access S Kinsman, though I would expect company at the summit. Mt Wolf isn't much for views, though you could consider adding Gordon Pond to your Mt Wolf day.

You may want a high clearance vehicle to access the RBT trailhead. The lot was in pretty rough shape when I was up there last summer. The stretch of trail between the shelter and Harrington Pond is among my favorites in the Whites. I wouldn't expect much company at the shelter outside AT season and it's not a popular route to access S Kinsman, though I would expect company at the summit. Mt Wolf isn't much for views, though you could consider adding Gordon Pond to your Mt Wolf day.

I have a full size truck, so that will work in my favor. Funny, the White Mnt guide states that Mt Wolf has a summit ledge that has "excellent" views to the east and northeast. Maybe that has grown in? Years ago I was able to visit Gordon Pond from the south. Was a nice place for sure.

Thanks for the replies.

One of my favorite areas on the Whites, shhhh. I accessed the trailhead in my Pilot 2 yrs ago. Pretty rough, but I made it. I love that area, even the drive to get there. You'll obviously have company on S Kinsman, but when a friend and I did it 2 falls ago, we saw not a single person on that side of the mountain. It was glorious. I'd love to be there right now, honestly. Caveat that Covid times are bizarro and none of the above may hold this year. But let us know when you're back as I'd love to do an early winter trip up that way and I'm curious to hear about the crowd situation this year.

One of my favorite areas on the Whites, shhhh. I accessed the trailhead in my Pilot 2 yrs ago. Pretty rough, but I made it. I love that area, even the drive to get there. You'll obviously have company on S Kinsman, but when a friend and I did it 2 falls ago, we saw not a single person on that side of the mountain. It was glorious. I'd love to be there right now, honestly. Caveat that Covid times are bizarro and none of the above may hold this year. But let us know when you're back as I'd love to do an early winter trip up that way and I'm curious to hear about the crowd situation this year.

I'm seeing large amounts of other people in areas I never seen anyone. I mean, I'm happy other people are getting out enjoying life and all, but jeez. NIMBY

I keep hoping the snow and cold keep people away and I can get out by myself again

Funny, the White Mnt guide states that Mt Wolf has a summit ledge that has "excellent" views to the east and northeast. Maybe that has grown in?

That description is seriously out of date. That view earned Mt. Wolf a spot on the 52WAV (With A View) list, but it had already largely grown in 10 years ago and is unlikely to be better today. That "summit ledge" isn't at the summit, incidentally, which is wooded and off-trail. Makes no difference unless you're working on the NE3K or some similar list.

That description is seriously out of date. That view earned Mt. Wolf a spot on the 52WAV (With A View) list, but it had already largely grown in 10 years ago and is unlikely to be better today. That "summit ledge" isn't at the summit, incidentally, which is wooded and off-trail. Makes no difference unless you're working on the NE3K or some similar list.

No lists for me. Unless it is the list of places that no one goes to. That one I have been working on for decades. I have maybe 3 of the 4K left, and other than west bond, I am not concerned about finishing it. I love solitude and silence. I also love a view that has no human development in sight. I have recently joined the Cohos Trail board of directors, and have also adopted a trail in Dixville Notch area. If I could go there, or Nash Stream, I would, but that drive is tough to do alone, so I am attempting to find a quiet and pretty 3 or 4 day trip within the next few weeks. The goal is to drive as little as possible from the Concord, Ma area. The Kinsman area from the west is usually pretty quiet, but like we all know, it could be very different this year. I did intentionally wait until after Columbus Day. I will also be doing this during the week.

Any other ideas are welcome. I haven't posted this kind of thing on VFFT in a long time, but for years I have relied on the group to help me find some pretty awesome places. Thanks for your input.

I will do my best to let you guys know how it goes. Sounds lovely.

I hiked Kinsman Notch to the Mt Kinsman trailhead earlier this summer. It was mid-week and we saw probably a dozen hikers (thru-hikers and backpackers mostly) which surprised me a bit. No views anywhere on Wolf aside from an occasional glimpse through the trees. The climb to South Kinsman on the AT is rough, steep, but certainly worth it.