Thread: Snow

Snow

Wet snow in Twin @ 1500 feet. Birch trees do not look happy about it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	snow.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	108.3 KB 
ID:	6500  

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
    Wet snow in Twin @ 1500 feet. Birch trees do not look happy about it.
    Lancaster NH Traffic Cam this morning...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	snow.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	7.8 KB 
ID:	6501

NECN Wx is predicting 6" on the peaks and 3" in the valleys for today (Oct 17).
    Last edited by ChrisB; 10-17-2020 at 08:18 AM.
    Nobody told me there'd be days like these
    Strange days indeed -- most peculiar, mama

About 3" at my house. ~1100'

At 1400' in Gorham its not accumulating much on surfaces.

drove around the mountain yesterday after we drove down the Kanc and turned off into Bear Notch Road. Some of the higher peaks visible in Bear notch had snow covering them. We went looking for snow. Drove up through Crawford Notch and started seeing snow around Willey House. By the time we got to the Notch, snow was about 6" deep. We stopped to looked at the Cascades and threw snowballs at each other (My GF and I). Continued down 302 until the turnoffs to Base Road. Took that down to the Base Station and turned around. Road hadn't been plowed yet and we followed a Mass driver with low profile tires trying to navigate the slop. I kept waiting for him to slide into the ditch like the Suburu we saw earlier on Base rd. I finally got tired of watching him struggle and drove past him, hoping he didn't slide into me. We turned around at the Base Station and saw the snow plows headed out. On our way out, we saw the Mass driver at the guard shack, so he made it, but I have no idea what he thought he was doing up there.

Continued around the mountain and the sun broke through and it was fall again. Barely any snow on Pinkham notch side. Less traffic than any other Saturday.

I'm so happy to see the snow. So happy!

Mass

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    drove around the mountain yesterday after we drove down the Kanc and turned off into Bear Notch Road. Some of the higher peaks visible in Bear notch had snow covering them. We went looking for snow. Drove up through Crawford Notch and started seeing snow around Willey House. By the time we got to the Notch, snow was about 6" deep. We stopped to looked at the Cascades and threw snowballs at each other (My GF and I). Continued down 302 until the turnoffs to Base Road. Took that down to the Base Station and turned around. Road hadn't been plowed yet and we followed a Mass driver with low profile tires trying to navigate the slop. I kept waiting for him to slide into the ditch like the Suburu we saw earlier on Base rd. I finally got tired of watching him struggle and drove past him, hoping he didn't slide into me. We turned around at the Base Station and saw the snow plows headed out. On our way out, we saw the Mass driver at the guard shack, so he made it, but I have no idea what he thought he was doing up there.

Continued around the mountain and the sun broke through and it was fall again. Barely any snow on Pinkham notch side. Less traffic than any other Saturday.

I'm so happy to see the snow. So happy!
    Really, how are the plates relevant?
    Miehoff

Quote Originally Posted by miehoff View Post
    Really, how are the plates relevant?
    You are correct. I fixed it

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    Road hadn't been plowed yet and we followed a Mass driver with low profile tires trying to navigate the slop.
    Slight tangent...

This makes me wonder if 2020 will be a good year for tow trucks in the Whites?

My low profile tires on my old convertible were fantastic on dry, smooth road surfaces. They made a very noticeable improvement when driving at higher speeds. But I really didn't enjoy driving in the rain with them and I wouldn't voluntarily drive in the winter with them, never mind an unplowed road

Halloween was about the time I would change the tires to all season. Never felt the need to go to snow tires in MA. My town has always been very efficient in clearing snow of the roads and salt/sands heavily.

WAIT! There is a traffic cam in Lancaster?????
    Have fun & be safe
    Mike P.

Vermont got snow, mostly above 1500'. I was near Burke on Saturday and it was pretty well covered.
    Hopefully this means we will have a big winter!
    Spencer
    Bigfoot