Owls Head river crossings...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SherpaWill

Reaction score
I was thinking about doing Owls Head Saturday and was wondering if anyone knows if the recent rain has made the river crossings difficult. I think more rain is in the forecast this week and I’m trying to figure out the likelihood of having to wade through ice cold water at the end of October.

Having done it in ice cold water in mid-October before I recommend one of the bushwhacks, either Fisherman's or Black Pond.

Just on and off showers today and tomorrow, so you should be fine on Saturday. I was in there yesterday morning and they were pretty easy for me. My friends who are shorter and not as confident in hopping across rocks needed a helping hand to stay dry so I just stood in the water and gave them a hand. Current was not fast or that high and the water wasn't too cold either. We did take the Black Pond whack but the one major crossing where it pops out didn't look bad either. If I had been solo I would have stuck to the Lincoln Brook and Franconia Brook trails on the way out to change it up. Snow should be melted by Saturday too.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Having done it in ice cold water in mid-October before I recommend one of the bushwhacks, either Fisherman's or Black Pond.

I don't know if Mike P. remembers, but I had just turned back from the Franconia Brook crossing when I ran into him on his way to it. Here's what it looked like on that morning of October 20, 2007:

DSCF0202.jpgDSCF0203.jpg

I would highly recommend the Black Pond Bushwack on the way in and either that or the Fisherman's on the way out.

Last edited:
I generally use the USGS 01074520 EAST BRANCH PEMIGEWASSET RIVER AT LINCOLN, NH (https://waterdata.usgs.gov/nh/nwis/uv?site_no=01074520) river gauge to assess those crossings. In Summer, generally a reading of 500 cfs or less means the crossings are "doable" as a reasonable rock hop and/or fairly shallow and safe walk through (like mid shin). Of course everyone's skills and risk tolerance varies. As of right now it's running 486 cfs. It's had some very significant spikes the past week or so that were definitely in the danger range. If you want a rough guide to monitor the crossings this week as the rain and snow melt comes and goes I'd suggest following this gauge. The Black Pond Bushwhack is definitely the better option to me too unless you're really hell bent on going the official trail route. I don't find that section of the trail terribly interesting.

I don't know if Mike P. remembers, but I had just turned back from the Franconia Brook crossing when I ran into him on his way to it. Here's what it looked like:

View attachment 6502View attachment 6503

I would highly recommend the Black Pond Bushwack on the way in and either that or the Fisherman's on the way out.

That would be a solid NOPE! for me.

IMHO the Fisherman's bushwhack is not really that useful when the Black Pond bushwhack is available which is far shorter. It does go through some nice Hemlock woods and is sprinkled with the remains of old campsites dating back to the last bug peak in usage in the early eighties

Remember the East Branch streamflow is your best objective resource https://waterdata.usgs.gov/nh/nwis/uv/?site_no=01074520&PARAmeter_cd=00065,63160,63158,00060 Some folks have equated a specific range of gage heights in the past with the ease of making these stream crossings. If the flow is flat or trending down prior to the hike and the flow is below the mean that is a good indication that its a reasonable level this time of year.

IMHO the Fisherman's bushwhack is not really that useful when the Black Pond bushwhack is available which is far shorter.

Far shorter? Not saying it is or isn't, but I think this image speaks for itself.

attachment.php

I measured each using Gaia and Black Pond is ~1.8 miles and Fisherman's is ~2.0 miles.

Tim

Attachments

• 2020-10-21_11-54-16.jpg
    2020-10-21_11-54-16.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 397
Last edited:
Thank you everyone for the input. I'm not familiar with the fisherman's bush whack. Whereabouts is that?

So named because it would be the path that fisherman would make if fishing the whole stream. It just follows the water. I've not been on the BPBW, however, being here for many years, once upon a time, trip reports would mention people not being able to follow concisely and coming out in different positions. (Lost would be too strong a word)

The Fisherman's BW is easy, follow the water. It's basically a trail you walk next to Vs. directly on it.

I recall one time two groups of us happened to be hiking together via Lincoln Brook Trail heading back to Lincoln Woods. We split up at jump-off for two bushwhacks. Damselfly and myself opted for Fisherman BW because we hadn't used Fisherman BW in long time. We decided to try and beat the other group back. I confess we were hustling to beat the other group and we did beat them back.

The BPBW is no longer a BW. It is a well defined herd path that is close to being a trail. I was there last month (on my yearly Owls Head hike), and every year it becomes more defined. At some point, it will likely be made into an official trail. These days, I think the BPBW is easier to follow than the FBW.

Regarding water crossings in that area, I use 300 cfs of the East Branch of the Pemi as a barometer. I can rock hop across where the Thoreau bridge used to be if it is 300 cfs or less, which is harder than Lincoln Brook, but this is my personal comfort level. Others might have different comfort zones...

The BPBW is no longer a BW. It is a well defined herd path that is close to being a trail. I was there last month (on my yearly Owls Head hike), and every year it becomes more defined. At some point, it will likely be made into an official trail. These days, I think the BPBW is easier to follow than the FBW.

Then that's the route I'd recommend. Back in 2008, with only a map and compass, it was simpler, and likely quicker, to use the water as a hand-rail on the return.

LETS GO YANKEES!