Owls Head river crossings...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The last time I used the "BPBW" 2 years ago old school (no GPS) the "BW" was very easy to follow out from the Lincoln Brook but about 2 months later when we went in it was less obvious heading in from the pond and we ended up coming into the brook slightly west of the trail crossing. No doubt we inadvertently turned downhill too early. For the majority of the route the "BW" is as easy to follow as many lesser used trails in Wilderness areas. Its a highway compared to several official trails over in the Speckled Caribou wilderness. The FS can not readily erase a worn in foot bed but they can disperse piles of rocks.

The BPBW is no longer a BW. It is a well defined herd path that is close to being a trail. I was there last month (on my yearly Owls Head hike), and every year it becomes more defined. At some point, it will likely be made into an official trail.

There is a moratorium in new trails through Wilderness, so that's doubtful. OH has been a destination for generations now and they still actively try to obscure the start of the ascent.

Owls Head had a new official FS signage 2 years ago. Just look for the warning sign about not leaving packs unattended due to bears stealing them is pretty good indication that its time to turn off the Lincoln Woods trail ;).

The Fisherman's BW is easy, follow the water. It's basically a trail you walk next to Vs. directly on it.
The brook gets pretty braided in there with plenty of tributaries, lots of "do I cross this one or follow the bank?" Probably depends on how much rain lately (and maybe it's easier out than in), but I find Black Pond to be more straightforward.

Owls Head had a new official FS signage 2 years ago. Just look for the warning sign about not leaving packs unattended due to bears stealing them is pretty good indication that its time to turn off the Lincoln Woods trail ;).

Apparently it's been a while.