Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Owls Head river crossings...

Waltham, MA Jazzbo & Marty meet Bigfoot on Kennebago Divide
    I recall one time two groups of us happened to be hiking together via Lincoln Brook Trail heading back to Lincoln Woods. We split up at jump-off for two bushwhacks. Damselfly and myself opted for Fisherman BW because we hadn't used Fisherman BW in long time. We decided to try and beat the other group back. I confess we were hustling to beat the other group and we did beat them back.
    On #67 of NE67
    On #99 of NEHH
    On #46 of WNH48

An atom walked up to me and said "i think I've lost an electron"
    I said "are you sure?"
    It reply "I'm positive."

The BPBW is no longer a BW. It is a well defined herd path that is close to being a trail. I was there last month (on my yearly Owls Head hike), and every year it becomes more defined. At some point, it will likely be made into an official trail. These days, I think the BPBW is easier to follow than the FBW.
    "The goggles, they do nothing!"

- Raineer Wolfcastle

Regarding water crossings in that area, I use 300 cfs of the East Branch of the Pemi as a barometer. I can rock hop across where the Thoreau bridge used to be if it is 300 cfs or less, which is harder than Lincoln Brook, but this is my personal comfort level. Others might have different comfort zones...
    "The goggles, they do nothing!"

- Raineer Wolfcastle

Iíve crossed both crossings with completely dry feet at 150cfps or less. Iíve recorded the value on all of my trips to OH.

FWIW
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
    The BPBW is no longer a BW. It is a well defined herd path that is close to being a trail. I was there last month (on my yearly Owls Head hike), and every year it becomes more defined. At some point, it will likely be made into an official trail. These days, I think the BPBW is easier to follow than the FBW.
    Then that's the route I'd recommend. Back in 2008, with only a map and compass, it was simpler, and likely quicker, to use the water as a hand-rail on the return.

LETS GO YANKEES!

The last time I used the "BPBW" 2 years ago old school (no GPS) the "BW" was very easy to follow out from the Lincoln Brook but about 2 months later when we went in it was less obvious heading in from the pond and we ended up coming into the brook slightly west of the trail crossing. No doubt we inadvertently turned downhill too early. For the majority of the route the "BW" is as easy to follow as many lesser used trails in Wilderness areas. Its a highway compared to several official trails over in the Speckled Caribou wilderness. The FS can not readily erase a worn in foot bed but they can disperse piles of rocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
    The BPBW is no longer a BW. It is a well defined herd path that is close to being a trail. I was there last month (on my yearly Owls Head hike), and every year it becomes more defined. At some point, it will likely be made into an official trail.
    There is a moratorium in new trails through Wilderness, so that's doubtful. OH has been a destination for generations now and they still actively try to obscure the start of the ascent.

Owls Head had a new official FS signage 2 years ago. Just look for the warning sign about not leaving packs unattended due to bears stealing them is pretty good indication that its time to turn off the Lincoln Woods trail .

Quote Originally Posted by Mike P. View Post
    The Fisherman's BW is easy, follow the water. It's basically a trail you walk next to Vs. directly on it.
    The brook gets pretty braided in there with plenty of tributaries, lots of "do I cross this one or follow the bank?" Probably depends on how much rain lately (and maybe it's easier out than in), but I find Black Pond to be more straightforward.

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    Owls Head had a new official FS signage 2 years ago. Just look for the warning sign about not leaving packs unattended due to bears stealing them is pretty good indication that its time to turn off the Lincoln Woods trail .
    Apparently it's been a while.