Thread: Amazing Grace

Amazing Grace

A hiker was found after being lost for two weeks in Zion National Park as the result of a head injury.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/19/u...ker-found.html

Have to love happy endings!

Quote Originally Posted by TEO View Post
    A hiker was found after being lost for two weeks in Zion National Park as the result of a head injury.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/19/u...ker-found.html
    Yeah...I've been following this for a while, interested because I've hiked/canyoneered in that area many, many times, until a few years ago, when the place began becoming way too busy even in the off-season.

I'm interested to hear more about the head injury -- how it happened -- and also about the precise location (near the Virgin River) of where they found her.

Right now, without more information, I'm confused about how she could wander a small area near the river (she apparently stayed close to water the entire time?) for two weeks and not be found.
    Last edited by Barkingcat; 10-23-2020 at 06:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Barkingcat View Post
    Right now, without more information, I'm confused about how she could wander a small area near the river (she apparently stayed close to water the entire time?) for two weeks and not be found.
    Looks like you're not the only one who is confused.

Edit: quick synopsis of linked Fox News story: a sergeant who participated in the SAR apparently is not buying the story the rescued woman is telling. He says it's highly unlikely she could have drank the water from the stream she claimed to survive next to as the water contains high levels of green-blue algae. He further suggests it's unlikely she would not have been found if indeed she stayed where she says. And finally suggests there's little evidence of any significant head trauma. We have limited details. I'm not weighing in with an opinion one way or the other. I'm glad she survived and hope for the sake of the many who helped with the SAR that this wasn't a hoax. But time will tell.
    Last edited by hikerbrian; 10-22-2020 at 11:23 AM.
    Sure. Why not.

Quote Originally Posted by hikerbrian View Post
    Careful. You might get canceled !

Quote Originally Posted by richard View Post
    Careful. You might get canceled !
    I try to make sure there are at least half a dozen ways I might get cancelled at any given time. Where's the adventure otherwise?!
    Sure. Why not.

This whole deal is eerily similar to the guy who recently went missing on his Pemi Traverse and became adrift in time for several days... near water.
    Nobody told me there'd be days like these
    Strange days indeed -- most peculiar, mama