Thread: Trail Trash in the Covid Era

Trail Trash in the Covid Era

How are you folks handling the occasional piece of trash you come across along the trail these days?

I normally pick stuff up and stash it in a pocket, but I have felt squeamish about doing so since the virus hit. So I roll on by and then feel guilty!

Any good litter strategies out there?
    Nobody told me there'd be days like these
    Strange days indeed -- most peculiar, mama

I think the risk is very low in picking up the odd bit of trash. Short of tissues and anything else potentially fecal, I'll pick it up and stuff it in my sack.

I never picked up trash and don't plan on starting.

Depends on the piece but I am walking past more than before. Left an iced coffee cup from DD with trash in it on Mt. Misery in Ct last weekend. If I see the odd candy or Cliff Bar Wrapper, I'm picking up still. Skipping things that may have been in the mouth & appear recent, the old beer or soda can seems okay.
    Have fun & be safe
    Mike P.

It used to be that I was unable to walk by trash without picking it up. Then two years ago, I was on an afternoon walk in the local woods and I picked up a tiny ziplock bag reflexively. I quickly realized that it had all-but-definitely once held drugs, mostly likely heroin. Even though the risk of COVID transmission is low, I've all but ceased picking it up, though it pains me. The one exception is survey tape, I'm still cleaning that up.

I am the only (totally reprehensible) person who read the thread title as referring to something else.

I just move along, without comment. Except for the ones playing loud music.

Bloomville, New York Avatar: Dress for success!
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    I am the only (totally reprehensible) person who read the thread title as referring to something else.

Well, it takes one of your kind to leave the other kind!
    Tom Rankin
    Volunteer Balsam Lake Mountain
    Past President Catskill 3500 Club
    CEO

Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post

Music and smoking have proven themselves to be effective people deterrents and have been invaluable during this pandemic. As long as you move along the comments are just part of the game. Thanks for playing.

No different than before. If I wasn't afraid of catching the flu from picking up trash, I'm not afraid of Covid. The fear and hype are way overblown.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhody Seth View Post
    I think the risk is very low in picking up the odd bit of trash. Short of tissues and anything else potentially fecal, I'll pick it up and stuff it in my sack.
    Exactly.

But, I do have to say that over the past few months we've been seeing more trash on the trail than usual -- usually food wrappers, plastic bottles, and the odd pile of toilet paper -- even on typically quiet, remote trails.

A lot of new, beginner, one time, uninformed hikers that just don’t know any better. When I see people carrying water bottles in their hand on some of the local trails, I often will politely ask them to remember to not leave any trash (water bottle) behind.

I was quite surprised yesterday that I saw minimal trash once I went in the woods 100 yards.

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    I was quite surprised yesterday that I saw minimal trash once I went in the woods 100 yards.
    I have to say I haven't seen a lot of trash either this Summer, and I've traveled a lot more of the "popular" trails than I normally do. Only real issue I saw was in the lot for the Caps Ridge Trail. Got there pre-dawn for a sunrise hike and was in serious need of recycling some coffee so I charged off into the trees with my headlamp and was horrified at what was there. Dozens of trampled down circles in a network of herd paths and a LOT of toilet paper. Was pretty disgusting actually. May have always been like that but I'd just never been in there. Other than that I really haven't seen much out of the ordinary thankfully. Could be my own anecdotal observations on my travels and reading but it seems like the attractions near water have been the areas that really got ravaged this year.
    NH 48 4k: 48/48; NH W48k: 48/48; ME 4k: 2/14; VT 4k: 1/5; ADK 46: 6/46; Cat 3.5k 10/35