Rain Gloves

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Paddlers use gloves that have a rubber gasket which touches the rubber gasket of a dry or semi-dry suit. Latex needs to touch latex to seal water out....latex on skin will leak and the only way to get good results is to use alot of it or make as tight as possible---like a neck gasket

I use nitriles in the winter to get the same effects as a vapor barrier liner. But of course if you are putting weight on poles and squeezing the grips, they will flood out much sooner.....

Last edited:
Paddlers use gloves that have a rubber gasket which touches the rubber gasket of a dry or semi-dry suit. Latex needs to touch latex to seal water out....latex on skin will leak and the only way to get good results is to use alot of it or make as tight as possible---like a neck gasket
I think the OP was asking about keeping warm hands in rain, not complete submersion under water. I have a couple of different types of gloves for paddling that keep my hands warm enough while paddling in colder, but still above freezing conditions. As a canoe paddler, my hands are never completely submerged while paddling, especially not all the way to the wrists. No need for a dry suit type gasket for protective warmth or to keep my hands working comfortably.

Last edited:
I think the OP was asking about keeping warm hands in rain, not complete submersion under water. I have a couple of different types of gloves for paddling that keep my hands warm enough while paddling in colder, but still above freezing conditions. As a canoe paddler, my hands are never completely submerged while paddling, especially not all the way to the wrists. No need for a dry suit type gasket for protective warmth or to keep my hands working comfortably.

I went ahead and ordered a pair of paddling gloves to try. They seem like they're what I'm looking for and in the product videos I watched it appears you have pretty good dexterity with them to operate zippers and other misc tasks so they hopefully won't need to actually come off too often, which would be a plus.

If just in the rain, you might want to try what cold water paddlers use. I have a couple of different kinds of gloves that work pretty well for race training in colder shoulder seasons. Mits are also available for more protection and warmth. Do a search for "cold water paddling gloves". Most are not great for truly cold frozen ice conditions, but for above freezing temps you should be able to find something that works for you.

Just as a follow up to this idea, I wound up ordering a pair of NRS Catalyst gloves. I went out today for about a 35 minute walk (47 deg F; steady but not overly heavy rain; no wind) and have to say I'm thinking this was an awesome suggestion. Hands were very comfortable even though I was walking pretty slowly so I wasn't heating up like I would hiking. Totally dry. I was even pleasantly surprised that I was actually able to operate my phone with the gloves. I assumed that was not going to be an option. It was also fairly easy to use the zippers on my jacket pockets, use the unlock button on my keychain, etc. Seem reasonably functional which is a huge plus. There is also enough room with the size I got that I'll be able to get a thin liner glove inside and also the Pertex liners I have for my OR 2 in 1 gloves appear to fit over them, which would make them warmer and even more impervious to truly foul weather.

On the downside, the major issue is that when they get wet they definitely stay wet. They've been hanging on the coat hooks in my entry for about an hour now and they're still very damp. In my case that probably won't matter because they'll generally be for day hikes so when I'm done I'm just flinging them in my trunk, not trying to figure out how to dry them in a tent on a cold, damp night. The fit is also a bit off. The overall length is perfect for my hands and correlated perfectly with their size chart. The pinky finger however is a bit long and when I clench my hand I get a fold at the base of the palm there and about 1/2 inch of space opens up over my pinky. The size chart matched my hand circumference perfectly here too but they definitely appear to run big in that way. The model I went with was only 2mm neoprene and the fingers are "pre bent" so not sure if that was a factor or if this is just normal for this kind of glove. The heavier waterproof and insulated gloves were all at least 3mm neoprene. NRS was a company that seemed to come up repeatedly in "best paddle gloves" searches so I'm assuming it is one of the better brands for water sports but I have no idea on that either.

Looking forward to trying them out in colder, wetter weather but I think these are going to be perfect for what I was looking for. Thanks for providing an alternative perspective on my question. That's why I love this forum. Recommendations received here always seem to be spot on.

Boot / Glove Dryer is an awesome gear addition to any outdoor enthusiast's mud room :)

Tim

I own one. Is it OK with neoprene? I know it is a pretty mellow heat but the articles I read on neoprene went out of there way to say avoid drying it because it will degrade quickly. Didn't want to push my luck.

During a recent swift water rescue training I did over a 4 day period, students were given a kind of NRS water rescue gloves (rubbery but not fully neoprene) that went with the drysuits we were given to wear. I took my soggy gloves home each night and they dried pretty well opened up on a mitten dryer without heat. Those students who left them at the facility had them and our drysuit insides dried by the staff using a kind of blow dryer octopus looking contraption, also without heat I believe.

During a recent swift water rescue training I did over a 4 day period, students were given a kind of NRS water rescue gloves (rubbery but not fully neoprene) that went with the drysuits we were given to wear. I took my soggy gloves home each night and they dried pretty well opened up on a mitten dryer without heat. Those students who left them at the facility had them and our drysuit insides dried by the staff using a kind of blow dryer octopus looking contraption, also without heat I believe.

I left them on coat hooks overnight and they are perfectly dry. So I should be fine. Thanks again for the tip. I think I am going to order their neoprene cap/hat to try as well. It is fairly inexpensive and based on how well the gloves work it may be a good addition. I have an OR Gore Tex cap I usually wear in rainy weather but it only has a light fleece liner so when it gets wet the cold conduction tends to make me cold. I'm actually looking forward to going for a hike in pouring rain to try all this stuff out and dial my system in. :)

I own one. Is it OK with neoprene? I know it is a pretty mellow heat but the articles I read on neoprene went out of there way to say avoid drying it because it will degrade quickly. Didn't want to push my luck.
The dryer I have (PEET) is almost hard to tell if it's working or not, the heat is so low.

I cycle down to 40f or so F rain with a pair of neoprene cycling rain gloves. They come in various thicknesses, and considering there is always a 15-30mph headwind I feel they work well. That being said I am normally working pretty hard on purpose to keep warm, and am not out in such weather more than a few hours.

I cycle down to 40f or so F rain with a pair of neoprene cycling rain gloves. They come in various thicknesses, and considering there is always a 15-30mph headwind I feel they work well. That being said I am normally working pretty hard on purpose to keep warm, and am not out in such weather more than a few hours.

Rule 9

Tim

Had to Google, Bike Riding Rule 9. Just finished reading the 82 rules. Wow, they prescriptive. Might have to agree that Rouluer meets or exceeds rule 9.

If I were to edit rule 12 from bikes to tents. I am at S-1.

Interesting question. I was reading wired magazine and they had a sidebar snippet about how the Seattle area ice climbers hung out near the place where the fishermen worked. Well it didn't take long for them to observe the fishermen's gloves. Thinking cold wet conditions..... they tried them and a trend started. Then the glove company started selling them as Fishing and Ice climbing gloves. Or something like that.

I was intriqued by the article. I don't ice climb but I have had issues with wet cold gloves. So I looked it up and bought a pair. Go2marine.com
Showa Teires 282-02
The outer is like a combination of a nitrile material and the grippy stuff of a work glove. Lined with a integral light polyester fleece.

Its a nice glove. It's waterproof. They say it breathes but probably not as much as I like. It worked well shoveling and snowblowing wet snow. If I had to go out and do something in the rain, I would grab these gloves. I don't see it fitting in my hiking glove portfolio as I try not to hike in the rain.

Last edited:
Interesting question. I was reading wired magazine and they had a sidebar snippet about how the Seattle area ice climbers hung out near the place where the fishermen worked. Well it didn't take long for them to observe the fishermen's gloves. Thinking cold wet conditions..... they tried them and a trend started. Then the glove company started selling them as Fishing and Ice climbing gloves. Or something like that.

I was intriqued by the article. I don't ice climb but I have had issues with wet cold gloves. So I looked it up and bought a pair. Go2marine.com
Showa Teires 282-02
The outer is like a combination of a nitrile material and the grippy stuff of a work glove. Lined with a integral light polyester fleece.

Its a nice glove. It's waterproof. They say it breathes but probably not as much as I like. It worked well shoveling and snowblowing wet snow. If I had to go out and do something in the rain, I would grab these gloves. I don't see it fitting in my hiking glove portfolio as I try not to hike in the rain.
I believe Andrew Skurka is a bug fan of those gloves. He's recommended them in several of his blog posts. I was going to try them but at the time the model he recommended was out of stock (I asked this question back in the tail end of the original COVID surge in 2020 and all the supply issues).

I wound up getting OR Revel Shell Overmitts. They work quite well and fit over a variety of my other gloves so they are versatile. Kind of pricey but I think worth it. As I look back over my favorite gear of the past 10 years Outdoor Research gloves and mittens dominate the list.