RIP Mike Miccuci

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

Super Moderator
Staff member
VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
Some of the long term folks on VFTT and folks who hung out north of the notches may remember Mike from his years of owning Moriah Sports in Gorham. He was also active long term in the RMC. Backcountry folks knew him as one of the folks that knew all the lesser known runs that may be only passable every decade. I was surprised today to open the Berlin paper to see his obituary.

https://www.bryantfuneralhome.net/obituaries/Mike-Micucci?obId=18715669

Bought many a pair of hockey skates, hiking boots, and my first Sher-Wood stick from there

I remember the store as I drove through Gorham but never stopped in, Sorry to hear of his passing. I see his mother just passed a few years ago and she also had her own business in Gorham also.

Gorham is the final major resupply point for northbound thruhikers (and recently was designated an official AT trailtown). Many thruhikers switch their gear over for the last stretch into Maine where the weather gets a bit colder and if need be replace gear in Gorham. Even though the trail no longer goes through town its very accessible from the AT and most thru hikers end up in town for a zero or two. Mike kept a good inventory of the latest gear that was popular with thruhikers and a lot of other outdoor sports and priced it reasonably. He was also the local "bike guy" with sales and service. He also did a lot of returns and replacements of defective gear for thru hikers which is usually a net hassle to the store depending on the vendors. In later years he was also a manager for the AMC running the store at Pinkham notch. He married later in life to a much younger wife and had kids and that was his full time job for several years until they were in school and pretty much after that he arranged his activities around theirs . He was also very active in RMC and was their trails chairman for a couple of years.

His sister owns Libby Bistro and the Salt Pub in Gorham.