Wheeler Mountain near Lake Willoughby, VT

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpencerVT

Reaction score
The past couple months I have been working on continuing to climb the Vermont 500 Highest list and NH 52 With A View.
On the 17th, I climbed Wheeler Mountain near Lake Willoughby. There are so many great peaks in the surrounding vicinity of the lake, many of which afford tremendous views.
Wheeler Mountain is one such gem. The trail starts near Wheeler Pond on Wheeler Mountain Road.
As you get near the summit, there is a cliff walk of solid slabs of rock which allow for incredible views in many directions. You can see Burke, down into the Whites, and much of the Northeast Kingdom.
This mountain has neat geologic features/rock formations with its massive cliffs. Really awesome peak I would totally climb again!

I rotated the camera to take this photo so I would get both the rock ledge and the sun in the frame:
50536101583_a1a9ef6235_z.jpg

It has been 10 plus years but I seem to remember that the road is seasonal (not plowed). As with many VT trails, getting to the trailhead is half the challenge. its just up the road from the former AMC (now) GMC Wheeler Pond Camps so the majority of the road will be broken out if the road is not plowed.

It has been 10 plus years but I seem to remember that the road is seasonal (not plowed). As with many VT trails, getting to the trailhead is half the challenge. its just up the road from the former AMC (now) GMC Wheeler Pond Camps so the majority of the road will be broken out if the road is not plowed.

The route has changed; the new trailhead is reliably accessible in winter. On the other hand, the trail itself is quite a bit longer. Parking lot to summit used to be something like 1.0 (red trail) or 1.3 (white). The new trail starts much farther down the valley, arcs up the slope of the ridge, and intercepts the old route on the ridge line near where the red and white reconnected, right around where the open slabs start. The total distance is something like 2.4-ish from the parking lot now.