Glued tabs on tent and how to reattach

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've searched the internet for help with this problem without luck. I have a Big Agnes ultralight that I've used about 8 times. I baby that thing. This past weekend I put it up (warm day) and by night, the clip that attaches the fly to the tent (to pull the side of the tent out for room), had come off. It's obvious the glue came undone. I've written to Big Agnes and they want me to send the tent back for repair - shipping and repair costs on me.

Having glued tabs come apart from a tent is not new to me. My REI Quarter Dome has shed about 4 of them - mostly the clips that hold the door flap open. I've just ignored these occurrences as the tent is older but won't on the Big Agnes.

Has this happened to you and how have you reattached? If so, what do you use? I notice the guy-lines are also attached in this manner. Can't believe I'd have to send the whole tent back!

View attachment 6511View attachment 6512

As you can see it’s come away from the fly.

I'm having a hard time understanding what I am looking in the left picture. Does the attachment need to be waterproof? If the fly at that point does not need to be waterproof, then you could use a couple of grommets. The kind you use to attach lines to a tarp. If you can't do this, it could be stitched and then apply waterproofing.

I've used this stiff from GearAid for repair and am quite happy with the results.

I would go this route, just make sure you get the right stuff for either sil or PU. A gear aid sil or pu patch over the top for reinforcement maybe. I would avoid cyano unless you can get a rubberized formula as it will probably crack and get pointy.

I'm surprised this wouldn't be covered by warranty given the limited use.

I would put stitches at least in the four corners, even if it's too much work to sew the entire margin. Just glue (any glue) might not hold without stitches. Waterproofing over the stitches.

I would put stitches at least in the four corners, even if it's too much work to sew the entire margin. Just glue (any glue) might not hold without stitches. Waterproofing over the stitches.

I agree with using more than glue. Applying glue over a failed glue surface has never worked for me. YMMV

I'm surprised this wouldn't be covered by warranty given the limited use.

Me, too, especially based on my experience with Big Agnes. Unless were missing information, I would contact BA and say that that's not good enough.

It's a tab that takes a lot of stress as once the fly's attached to the tent, both tent and fly are pulled tight and staked. Big Agnes is fixing it. It tried to get a suggestion from then on gluing. I did have to pay to send it but they've indicated they wont charge for the fix. We will see!

It's a tab that takes a lot of stress as once the fly's attached to the tent, both tent and fly are pulled tight and staked. Big Agnes is fixing it. It tried to get a suggestion from then on gluing. I did have to pay to send it but they've indicated they wont charge for the fix. We will see!

Be interesting to see how they fix it. Since we know simple gluing by the manufacturer is sub optimal!!

And this is a known issue for them apparently given the chatter on the Internet.