Prevent dead camera battery

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sanbu

Reaction score
On a recent backpack, my camera (iPad in this case) lasted 4 days. Then conked out as I reached the most beautiful scenery of the trip. I may get a solar charger in future, but will have to do without for the time being.

My current devices are iPhone SE, iPad mini, and Canon point and shoot. I take three to cover all bases: emergency, altitude, photography, translation, and redundancy in case of failure. I carry extra batteries for the Canon, but I like the image "warmth" of the Apple devices. So it's the Apple's where I'm looking to keep battery alive.

In past I kept the phone shut down and reserved for emergency use only. But starting next trip, I will start taking altitudes at specific places--turn on location long enough to get the altitude, then shut down the device. For a new strategy, will keep devices inside my sleeping bag at night.

It seems Apple devices have innumerable and devilish ways of using up battery power. For example, Bluetooth, and a log of locations. And it seems like they turn on Wifi and other services after sitting idle for a spell. I would like to stop all power usage on the iPhone, except for occasional altitude measurements and emergency use, as noted above. My goto for photography will be iPad and Canon. FYI, the lowest temps I encounter are around 20 degrees F.

Tricks and tips anyone?

Last edited:
I can't help you with Apple products, but you can get a portable recharger. I have one that even produces heat or light if needed. Just make sure you get one with the appropriate cables.

It seems Apple devices have innumerable and devilish ways of using up battery power.

I've never owned an Apple phone but I hike with someone who has one (not sure the model) and on long day hikes her phone is generally less than 10% of battery when my Android is still in the 80's%. If you're turning the phone off altogether and it's still draining I don't know what else you could do to save power. Probably need to get a back up charging device from Anker or a similar company. Depending on how big a model you get they aren't super heavy and you can get many full charges out of it for a phone or other USB device. I have a 10000mAh model that is roughly the size of a deck of cards. Easy enough to carry along in a backpack or in a coat pocket to keep warm.

Sanbu, keep your phone in airplane mode except when you need to take coordinates/altitude/whatever. If you turn on your phone and it's not in airplane mode, it will use up significant battery just trying to establish a signal and location every time you turn it on. Also, you don't need to keep you phone/battery warm at all times (i.e. keep it in your sleeping bag). What matters is the temperature of the battery when you want to use the device. So if you sleep with your phone but then keep it in the top of your pack when it's 20 degrees out and then want to use it, you're likely to have issues. But if you keep it in your pack while sleeping but put it in an inside pocket and keep it warm when you want to use it, you're less likely to have issues. Just remember to manage moisture/condensation - not an easy task when it's cold.

Be very selective about what Location Services (under Settings > Privacy) you have on. Wifi and Bluetooth are big drains. If I am only using the camera my iPhone 6S lasts three or four days without charging. I also carry a portable battery that is about the size of the iPhone to recharge if I am using GPS apps.

I got one of those as an X-Mas present. Works well as a charger but drains pretty quickly as a warmer. At least this brand does....

That's exactly what I have.

None of them seem to last as long as they claim, and especially so after lots of recharges.

None of them seem to last as long as they claim, and especially so after lots of recharges.
Lithium-ion (rechargeable) batteries degrade with both use and time.

To maximize their lifetime:
* store in the refrigerator when not in use, ideally at 40% charge.
* do not charge or discharge fully (ie keep between 10% and 90% or 20% and 80%).
https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

Lithium-ion batteries have a nominal discharge temperature range of -20C to 60C (-4F to 140F) but should be charged over a narrower temp range: 0C to 45C, (32F to 113F). (Note that when you are using an external helper battery to charge a internal device battery, you should keep the device warm.)
https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/charging_at_high_and_low_temperatures

Doug