Evans Notch Closed?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Google Maps is showing Evans Notch in Maine, Route 113 closed, I assume for the winter. I was wondering if anyone had any more information.

WMNF does not have it listed on their roads page (which is now on Facebook, sigh...) and they've been pretty good about checking with MDOT in the past. I can't find any info about it on the MDOT website (there was no press release, there usually is when they close a road). You might try calling them during business hours.

Google maps does say "updated two minutes ago" so apparently somebody's been reporting it closed to them...

PS it's early. Past few years it's closed on Nov 13, according to TrailsNH.com (which is currently reporting it open, but not clear whether they've checked again since May.)

Last edited:
No doubt its got snow on it today but should melt off later in the week but my experience is once the gate is closed they do not reopen it.

Google Maps is showing Evans Notch in Maine, Route 113 closed, I assume for the winter. I was wondering if anyone had any more information.

That's interesting, I don't think I've ever noticed Google Maps recognizing a road being closed. Since it sometimes will route you through an always gated forest road. I just tried it by getting directions from below the gate to Gorham. It doesn't say closed, (not anywhere I can see) but does route you around that section of 113. Tried the same for Bear Notch Rd. and it also routed me around it. I wonder if it Google Maps does that on a preselected date? USFS is still only showing Rocky Branch Rd., as being closed as of 10/30. Don't they try there best to keep the roads open through the end of hunting season? I know several years ago I drove on Gale River Rd to the Garfield Trail in November with 6" of snow on it. SUV obviously.

EDIT: Apparently they just now added Bear Notch Rd. to the list.

Last edited:
Is this section used by snow machines in the winter? If yes, would it be safe to share it while pulling a pulk?

Looking for some solitude. Thanks.

Rt 113 is used most of the way through as a snowmobile trail. It is busy on weekends. It is not a big, fast or wide trail so speeds are kept in check by the trail itself. As the trail approaches Gilead from the south, it splits with a west bound branch crossing the Wild River into NH and an east bound trail headed off in the direction of the Wheeler Brook Trail. From the South, Rt 113 is gated @ the Cold River/Basin Pond area; there is typically plenty of parking available around the gate.
There are other parts of the Maine section of the WMNF where you may run into a snowmobile trail for a bit; Miles Notch & Cold Brook Trails are also used in part as snowmobile trails.....none of the trails run together for any significant length. Same rules apply; weekends will be busy, weekdays quiet

Last edited:
I will beg to differ on the speed of 113 as a snowmobile trail. It is wide open and fast. You should be very careful if you are pulling a sled or otherwise walking on it. There really aren’t any blind corners though, so snowmobilers can see a ways ahead and should be able to see a hiker. But still, they can travel at high speeds so be careful.

I will beg to differ on the speed of 113 as a snowmobile trail. It is wide open and fast. You should be very careful if you are pulling a sled or otherwise walking on it. There really aren’t any blind corners though, so snowmobilers can see a ways ahead and should be able to see a hiker. But still, they can travel at high speeds so be careful.
I’ve always heard it coming from a long way off through there. No problem. Share the corridors and respect each other.

I regularly XC ski on official (ITS) snowmachine trails here in Maine. I continue to wear my deer season blaze orange vest while doing so and avoid weekends. Be advised that the new generation of 4-stroke snow machines are very quiet and oftimes can't be heard coming.

Thank you all for the replies. I especially appreciated the blaze orange suggestion.

I have shared the Bear Notch / Sawyer River Road corridors with snowmobiles and the occasional fat bike; so it sounds very similar to that.

Thank you all for the replies. I especially appreciated the blaze orange suggestion.

I have shared the Bear Notch / Sawyer River Road corridors with snowmobiles and the occasional fat bike; so it sounds very similar to that.

Yup, it's no big deal as long as you pay attention. And it's not like the snowmachine traffic is constant. It's sporadic at best and obviously a little heavier on the weekends assuming conditions are good. Although Evans is a primary corridor, it nonetheless doesn't get a ton of traffic. There have been plenty of years where I have had to break trail. We are getting a warm spell over the next week too.

I went up to Evans Notch today and found the gate open. Google Maps still shows it as closed. I am not sure if it was actually closed last week after some snow.

Last edited: